diversity statement - personal or community?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

diversity statement - personal or community?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:07 am

I'm having a bit of trouble with my DS. I think I am very clear about how my unique experience shaped me into a person fit for law school - but I am somewhat lacking on what positive impact I would bring into the law school community. As I remember, the case for diversity is that it makes the law school as a whole a better place. My DS statement talks about how I learned the merits of diligence, hard work, etc. through my experience. Should I focus more on the positive aspects my experience would bring to the law school community?

Re: diversity statement - personal or community?

Postby ellayo » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:46 pm

I have been thinking about this while crafting my DS as well. I guess the approach that I took is that it's not necessary to come right out and say "My diversity will benefit the community in the following ways..." I tried to describe my unique experience and show that I have spent a significant amount of time reflecting on it. I think that the idea is that learning next to a diverse group of peers is the benefit in and of itself. There is benefit from diversity of thought and experience while parsing through new information...at least that was my experience in undergrad. So what I tried to express is the perspective that I have gained from my unique experience.

I posted my draft a couple of days ago...I would definitely look over yours if you would return the favor. Best of luck!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”