Potential personal statement topics

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Gwas2014

Potential personal statement topics

Postby Gwas2014 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to receive some input/feedback on the below personal statement topics. Of the three which do you feel is the strongest?

Topic 1: My father passed away roughly three months ago. I have considered using the challenge of witnessing his four year battle with cancer and Parkinson's as the subject for my personal statement. I can discuss the difficulties his passing presented and subsequently how I was able to grow and develop from this difficult experience.

Topic 2: I was suspended from my first University for an extensive drinking write-ups in the dorms. My punishment was comprised of a series of university required sanctions (AA classes, regular cleaning of a serious addiction clinic, etc.). I have considered writing about how I was able to grow from these experiences and turn them into positives that have since contributed to my success at other universities.

Topic 3: During high-school I had a notoriously intense water polo coach. He would consistently bully or verbally abuse kids and was even known to throw chairs and lay hands on his players (he has been dismissed since my graduation). However the experience taught me a number of lessons as well as strengthening my character.

Obviously I will dive into more specific details on how I have developed, grown and improved from all of these challenging experiences. Do any of the three topics above seem to have more potential than the others.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

NanaP

Re: Potential personal statement topics

Postby NanaP » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:11 pm

Gwas2014 wrote:Hi everyone,

I am hoping to receive some input/feedback on the below personal statement topics. Of the three which do you feel is the strongest?

Topic 1: My father passed away roughly three months ago. I have considered using the challenge of witnessing his four year battle with cancer and Parkinson's as the subject for my personal statement. I can discuss the difficulties his passing presented and subsequently how I was able to grow and develop from this difficult experience.

Topic 2: I was suspended from my first University for an extensive drinking write-ups in the dorms. My punishment was comprised of a series of university required sanctions (AA classes, regular cleaning of a serious addiction clinic, etc.). I have considered writing about how I was able to grow from these experiences and turn them into positives that have since contributed to my success at other universities.

Topic 3: During high-school I had a notoriously intense water polo coach. He would consistently bully or verbally abuse kids and was even known to throw chairs and lay hands on his players (he has been dismissed since my graduation). However the experience taught me a number of lessons as well as strengthening my character.

Obviously I will dive into more specific details on how I have developed, grown and improved from all of these challenging experiences. Do any of the three topics above seem to have more potential than the others.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

I don't think anyone can tell you which has more potential or not. How good the essay will be will be based on how well you write and structure your essay. Pick whichever one you are more passionate about and go with it and see how the draft comes out. Are you applying this cycle? It seems kind of late to now be writing a PS......I know it took me months or writing and numerous revisions in order to get it perfect. I submitted a couple that had slight mistakes on it so I hope it doesn't hurt me...but good luck

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”