Looking for some help...

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
toostressed

Looking for some help...

Postby toostressed » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:00 pm

I hate that this is my first post...but I really need some help with my PS.

I just finished the 7th (or so) draft, and I can't stand to look at it anymore.

My dilemma is this: I gave it to a friend who is a lit prof at Georgetown (my dream school). He basically told me to cut out an entire section stating that its "too confessional" and, not surprisingly, gave me a reading list. The section to be removed is a significant obstacle that I overcame, and is the primary reason I want to go to law school.

Two questions: Does his position and expertise warrant a rewrite? Can anyone take a look at it for me (its two pages, DS)?

Thanks!

Gooner91

Re: Looking for some help...

Postby Gooner91 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:31 pm

If it is a primary reason you want to go to law school and you feel your reasons are something you want to convey in your personal statement than you should leave it in.
However, I am not sure exactly what you mean by "confessional" but if it invokes a strong TMI response you may want to consider rewording it.

I hope you do not mind if I give you some other unasked for advice. I found the best thing for my personal statement was to just write what I wanted to say and not let other people edit it or give me tips except for grammar/spelling/typos, it really had very little contact with anyone other than myself. I think this made it really strong in the sense that it told my story in my words. But I am sure many others will disagree with this.

Also relax. Deep breath.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”