rape victim - too sensitive topic for PS? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

rape victim - too sensitive topic for PS?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:39 am

Is rape too sensitive an issue for admissions officers? I wrote about how I struggled to face and overcome it and how it shapes what I want to do as a lawyer in the future, but I can see how the topic itself might be too sensitive for the admissions officers. I read the TLS book on PS and it said the same thing about rape (its being too sensitive), any thoughts?

mandyjay11

Silver

Re: rape victim - too sensitive topic for PS?

Post by mandyjay11 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is rape too sensitive an issue for admissions officers? I wrote about how I struggled to face and overcome it and how it shapes what I want to do as a lawyer in the future, but I can see how the topic itself might be too sensitive for the admissions officers. I read the TLS book on PS and it said the same thing about rape (its being too sensitive), any thoughts?

I think it will depend on how much detail you divulged about the actually incident. I wouldn't get graphic and describe it in too much detail because that would be off-putting, but I think it would make an interesting story if done tactfully.

CitrusFruit

Bronze

Post by CitrusFruit » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is rape too sensitive an issue for admissions officers? I wrote about how I struggled to face and overcome it and how it shapes what I want to do as a lawyer in the future, but I can see how the topic itself might be too sensitive for the admissions officers. I read the TLS book on PS and it said the same thing about rape (its being too sensitive), any thoughts?
First of all, that's horrible and I'm glad that you are in the process of overcoming it. All my best wishes to you. Secondly, I think that if you focus on overcoming what happened and how it has impacted your career goals, I see no reason for you not to write about it. If admissions people are squeamish about things like that, then shame on them. I think that if you make the focus your response to the event and not the event itself, you shouldn't have any problems.

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:09 am

KarenButtenbaum wrote:
It is asked a lot, and I'm sorry to say that there really is no satisfactory answer.
In almost every case, at least one of the numbers indicated potential success in law school (splitters or reverse splitters).
Because the answers are so incredibly specific to the individual applicant, I think it is more helpful to reply with more general categories.
--> Overcoming something extreme in their life (extreme poverty, family issues, illness or amputation, etc.) with the right attitude. That last bit is important - don't invite us to your pity party.
--> Really smart second career folks whose first career didn't really need a college degree. The late bloomers for whom the LSAT is the first standardized test they've ever taken
--> Success in another area (great work experience, Olympic medalist, member of successful rock band

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I hope this is helpful!
Cheers,
karen
Hi OP- the above is from KB in the Spivey thread. You can find it there around page 57 (can't remember exactly right now) if you need more context. It seems the key is to strike the right tone. hth and good luck

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Yeah describing it in detail is not something I want to do either. I think I approached it with the right attitude, but then I'm biased.... Thanks for the replies!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:10 pm

Here is my hesitation: as awful as this is, sexual assault is incredibly common. I have seen a lot of sexual assault PSs. Unless it's informed your current career accomplishments (e.g. work experience with victims), I wouldn't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:25 pm

IAFG wrote:Here is my hesitation: as awful as this is, sexual assault is incredibly common. I have seen a lot of sexual assault PSs. Unless it's informed your current career accomplishments (e.g. work experience with victims), I wouldn't.
Hmm that's the problem, I didn't do anything "substantial" on the topic, in fact I avoided talking about it in real life and moved on. In my PS, I tied it up to volunteer work that I did with refugees and also an internship with a development organization, but I see that the link may seem a little forced.

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:Here is my hesitation: as awful as this is, sexual assault is incredibly common. I have seen a lot of sexual assault PSs. Unless it's informed your current career accomplishments (e.g. work experience with victims), I wouldn't.
Hmm that's the problem, I didn't do anything "substantial" on the topic, in fact I avoided talking about it in real life and moved on. In my PS, I tied it up to volunteer work that I did with refugees and also an internship with a development organization, but I see that the link may seem a little forced.
I think if it has significantly impacted who you are today, go ahead and write about it in your PS. And just because you avoided talking about it in real life doesn't mean your experience isn't worth using for a topic! At the same time, like IAFG kind of already said, if you try to force a connection to your internships and volunteer work, it'll show and that might hurt you. I think with this kind of subject matter, it will be especially important for you to find an objective reader for your PS!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”