Is this compelling enough to write a 'Why CLS' essay?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
tmkm

Is this compelling enough to write a 'Why CLS' essay?

Postby tmkm » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:32 pm

Hi,

Can I get some feedback as to whether this is a compelling enough reason to write a 'WHY CLS' essay?

Academic Reasons:

Clinics
- Child Advocacy Clinic
- Community Enterprise Clinic

Externship
- Immigration Defense Externship

- Brother grew up with two chronic illnesses that required a lot of hospitalization. The frustrating experience for my immigrant family to get access to quality medical attention throughout my childhood engendered in me a strong desire to learn how to help other families that may be currently struggling with the same issues. Not sure if these clinics and/or externships are the right avenues to pursue this, but am confident CLS has the right ones.

Personal:

-Need to be close to home just in case brother needs medical attention during the 3 years I'm in school. Parents are not fully fluent in English so can help them as well.
-Will be married this summer before going to LS and fiancee's job/family is all located in NYC. If possible, would not like to displace her life for my schooling.

tmkm

Re: Is this compelling enough to write a 'Why CLS' essay?

Postby tmkm » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:36 pm

I should have mentioned:

Lived in NY/NJ all my life. Parents have owned a small business in Manhattan for 20+ years. Very familiar with Columbia and the UWS.

Pete Venkman

Re: Is this compelling enough to write a 'Why CLS' essay?

Postby Pete Venkman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:50 pm

sounds pretty compelling to me. I'd go for it!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”