UVA has no page limit...

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

UVA has no page limit...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:08 pm

Is 4 pages Berkeley-style just gross overkill? I'm trying for ED too, so I really need to make sure I nail this. Any thoughts, guys?

From the website:

"Do you put a word limit on the length of personal statements?

No, we invite applicants to write essays that are long enough to express whatever they think the Admissions Committee should know. That said, applicants should remember that succinctness is a virtue. Admissions Committee members look favorably upon personal statements that illustrate one's ability to convey his or her message in a concise fashion."

Gooner91

Re: UVA has no page limit...

Postby Gooner91 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is 4 pages Berkeley-style just gross overkill? I'm trying for ED too, so I really need to make sure I nail this. Any thoughts, guys?

From the website:

"Do you put a word limit on the length of personal statements?

No, we invite applicants to write essays that are long enough to express whatever they think the Admissions Committee should know. That said, applicants should remember that succinctness is a virtue. Admissions Committee members look favorably upon personal statements that illustrate one's ability to convey his or her message in a concise fashion."

I think I remember reading in an interview where they recommended trying to keep it to 3 pages. I would say if it is concise and takes 4 pages go for it. If it has a lot of extra stuff that does not add much I would think it might be a good idea to edit it down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:20 am

Thank you, that was the kind of thing I was looking for! :)

NoDayButToday

Postby NoDayButToday » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:54 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:59 am

sublime wrote:Solid use of Anon ITT.

Huh? Maybe you have me confused with someone else?

Thanks guys. I think I could tell it in 3 pages, but it would lose some of its rhetoric power for sure. So I think I'm going to roll the dice and just stick with 4, and hope that it intrigues them enough. I think it's pretty consolidated after the editing I've done.

If anyone is interested in reading it and commenting, it's here, updated on the last post:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=220369

Any commentary on its length/content would be super appreciated!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”