PS with or without Why Penn

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
sosofla

PS with or without Why Penn

Postby sosofla » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:22 am

Last edited by sosofla on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patfeeney

Re: PS with or without Why Penn

Postby patfeeney » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:42 am

sosofla wrote:Hey guys, I'm applying to Penn. Should I mention Penn in my PS even though I'm already writing a Why Penn essay?

From what I've read and what people have told me, it's not the best idea to mention a specific school in your PS, regardless of whether or not you're applying to any other schools.

Javert

Postby Javert » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:08 pm

I, too, would recommend leaving it out of your PS. Unless exceptionally well-done, it usually looks forced and a bit tacky.

In regards to Penn specifically, I'd say use their optional essays to address Penn-specific ambitions (as you seem to intend to do). That should be adequate.

Best of luck!

sosofla

Postby sosofla » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:45 pm

thanks duders

drevo

Postby drevo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

I was just looking into this last week as well as Penn has the reputation of wait listing for YP. One of Penn's optional essays is something along the lines of:

"Our core values are: (list). What core values define you? How would you fit in line with Penn's core values?"

This can basically be played into a "Why Penn?" essay. Obviously it's a little different because you do have address the whole values thing but it is pretty easy to use that to state why you want to go to Penn.

So, just like the others said, don't waste space in your PS for it and just address separately in the optional essay.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”