Applying T14, plz help polish second draft, submitting soon Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
paglababa

Silver

Applying T14, plz help polish second draft, submitting soon

Post by paglababa » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:40 pm

So have a few questions + please don't quote. All help is much appreciated mates.

1. My PS reads very much like a diversity statement in that it is about growing up through poverty. I start off with a specific academic project in which I am conducting research in a poor neighborhood. I then tie into my back ground growing up poor, followed by my desire for community involvement and service while in college. I concluded with why I want to go to to law school, but I don't exactly tie it to my community service. How can I tie the two together if I do not explicitly want to say I will do PI? (Also, I don't have crazy PI softs, just business background). I might post it or pm it if anyone can help.

2. I assume I won't need a diversity statement due to the topic my PS covers?

3. How long are typical PS? Mines is currently 3 pages double spaced.

4. Stylistically I assume regular indents at beginning of paragraphs, double spaced, times new roman 12, default margins?

Thanks all!
Last edited by paglababa on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

IgosduIkana

Bronze

Re: Questions about personal statements

Post by IgosduIkana » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Fellow 0L advice here...take with much salt.

1. I don't have an answer for this one. I'm sure somebody's done it, but to go from "I have helped the poor" to "I want to help keep the rich rich" seems like a huge stretch to me. Hopefully someone around here has some good advice for you.

2. Sounds like your DS would overlap with PS, don't worry about it.

3. I first wrote a 3-page one, then I edited it into a 2-page one and finally a 500-word one. Three versions of the same PS. These three formats fit all of the schools I applied to. Check out what the application wants.

4. Yep, and default margins at 1". The defaults used to be larger in Win 97 I think.

IgosduIkana

Bronze

Post by IgosduIkana » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:56 pm

5. Terrific avi

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:26 am

Thanks submitting

malleus discentium

Silver

Re: Applying T14, plz help polish second draft, submitting soon

Post by malleus discentium » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:18 pm

paglababa wrote: 4. Stylistically I assume regular indents at beginning of paragraphs, double spaced, times new roman 12, default margins?
Thanks all!
I followed the format for a business letter and didn't indent grafs and I put a blank line between each of them. I've not been able to find anyone who gives advice otherwise and I think it looks nicer that way.

Also, you can use 11-point font. It should give you some more room.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”