My Peersonal statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

My Peersonal statement

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Hey guys, so here's my PS. I am a minority candidate so i decided that i would incorporate the diversity into the personal statement. This is a very rough first draft of my PS, please tear it apart :).

If anyone wants to do PS exchanges with me over PM, please just respond and say you're interested in doing so, I'll PM you and we'll get it going.

Thanks for the help guys, may the force be with you all.

Personal Statement
I was sitting on my bed in my family’s rented apartment. My baby brother was sitting next to me on his eating chair chewing through his first cup of Gerber applesauce, laughing away as he played with a few plastic flip toys in front of him. It was the first solid food he had ever consumed and it should have been a moment of jubilation, but there was concern and anxiety in the air. I sat far more somberly as my brother carelessly ate and played away. Although I was told to go into my room and watch television, my ears remained glued to the conversation in the living room. Then I heard my father telling my mother the frightening words: “We probably have to go back home.”

My family had emigrated from India to the United States when I was eight years old. My father had acquired a job at an engineering company and we were excited to explore our new frontiers in the United States. He had moved a few years before us to become established at the company and make proper arrangements for my mom and I. I can still recall those days when my father would speak to me about the opportunities that awaited us in the United States. He stated city names like “New York,” “Miami”, “Chicago,” names that sounded odd to me at the time but cities where my father assured me that I would be able to follow my dreams. After moving to the United States, I learned English, enrolled in an elementary school and began to involve myself in both academic and extracurricular activities. A few years later my brother was born, I was performing well in school, my dad gained promotions at his company and our family had begun to establish a life here in the United States. Then lightning struck when we discovered that we might have to abandon our hard earned new life and move back to India due to legal documentation issues.

My father acquired a sponsored L1-Visa in order to move to the United States for work purposes, which was then transferred onto our entire family through the dependent L2 visa. As we continued to live in the United States, the work visa was continuously updated. Visa updates were going smoothly and the paperwork was being properly processed until it hit a roadblock. The company had applied for a visa renewal and it hadn’t been approved and the INS claimed that there were gaps in my family’s application for permanent residency. My dad asked the company executives for assistance but the pleas fell mostly on deaf ears. Even the few executives who wished to investigate the problems were unable to provide answers as they were genuinely confused by the maze of documentation required by the INS. We thought everything was lost, and that our return to India was definite. Family friends came by to offer their condolences, our valuables were packed into suitcases and my family was prepared for the long journey home. It was at that point that our family decided to enlist the help of an immigration attorney, to see if there was any chance that we could get our situation rectified.

By this point in the process, I believed that the fight had already been lost. I perceived the visit to the attorney as a way for our family to smoothly transition to a life back in India. Although we were often visibly anxious about our situation, the attorney remained calm and collected. He assured us that not only would he be able to sort out our immigration documents, he would be able to hasten the residency application procedure for us. As the long days went by, the attorney opened up new avenues for my family to take down the winding maze of residency application. Many options failed at first, but despite hesitation from my parents, and myself, the attorney continued to search for new ways in which we could continue filing for residency status. It wasn’t necessarily the progress concerning the issues at hand that struck a cord with me, but seeing my parents’ faces loosen up after a conversation with the attorney, to see a rare smile on their face after they put the phone down or a laugh, brought the family a glimmer of hope, and that was priceless to me. It took several months to come out of the documentation freeze that my family had faced. The road to residency status from that point was lined with numerous challenges, but the attorney’s guidance and advice made those challenges less daunting to overcome.

The attorney’s guidance of my family through the residency application route caused a permanent shift in my perspective. There will always be challenges, and challenges that may stand tall and seem crushing, but there is no challenge that should be automatically deemed as too large to overcome. If you don’t exercise all avenues, if you don’t give a challenge every last breath you have, then how can you say that the challenge is insuperable? This mentality has been my driving force through my undergraduate tenure and one that I wish to bring with me into my legal career and provide to my clients. People constantly face challenges in their life. As an attorney, it is my hope to give my clients the surety and confidence they need to face those challenges. As the saying goes, where there is a will, there is a way.

Re: My Peersonal statement

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:37 pm

I personally dont like the my life was changed by a lawyer sort of statement, but nonetheless, it was well-written.

Your last paragraph was really superfluous and tacky.

Other than that I dont know what to say. I dont suppose you have other stories to tell?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”