Trad."I-solated" story PS vs autobio/fam/story/lawquote PS?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Traditional PS or Autobio Doctrine

Poll ended at Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Traditional PS
50%
Autobio Doctrine
No votes
Trad PS + Diversity
50%

Total votes: 2

Anonymous User

Trad."I-solated" story PS vs autobio/fam/story/lawquote PS?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:12 pm

I have noticed the running theme with many PS' is the traditional..let me tell you why i am awesome through a series of isolated events that display my awesomeness through implied meanings/interpretations...

well, that route isnt working for me.

My inclination tells me my autobio/famstory-tied into why LS/JD is important seems to have potential put my app ontop of the pile...how right or wrong is this inclination? Am I selling myself short and trying to get out of writing a diversity statement? My entire app screams diversity already, didnt think id need to addedum it (excessive).

-URM
-ESL
-1st in fam --> jd
- immig.
-decent softs
-splitter #s

Pancakes12

Re: Trad."I-solated" story PS vs autobio/fam/story/lawquote PS?

Postby Pancakes12 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have noticed the running theme with many PS' is the traditional..let me tell you why i am awesome through a series of isolated events that display my awesomeness through implied meanings/interpretations...

My inclination tells me my autobio/famstory-tied into why LS/JD is important seems to have potential put my app ontop of the pile...how right or wrong is this inclination? Am I selling myself short and trying to get out of writing a diversity statement? My entire app screams diversity already, didnt think id need to addedum it (excessive).

-URM
-ESL
-1st in fam --> jd
- immig.
-decent softs
-splitter #s

It may just be me, but I really have no idea what you're asking.

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have noticed the running theme with many PS' is the traditional..let me tell you why i am awesome through a series of isolated events that display my awesomeness through implied meanings/interpretations...

-URM
-ESL
-1st in fam --> jd
- immig.
-decent softs
-splitter #s

Best way to be at the top of the pile? Retake.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:40 pm

sopranorleone wrote:

-URM
-ESL
-1st in fam --> jd
- immig.
-decent softs
-splitter #s

Best way to be at the top of the pile? Retake.

c'mon...im addressing the notion of "how does your PS catch the admins attention"

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:44 pm

I think the problem is it's entirely unclear what "autobio/famstory-tied into why LS/JD is important" means and how it actually differs from the traditional PS.

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:53 am

The goal of the ps is to let the adcomms get to know you outside of the numbers and your work experiences. So, if the statement fulfills those goals and the adcomms feel like there is an actual person on the other side of the statement that they are interested in - then you have won.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”