PS about Health Law too controversial?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

PS about Health Law too controversial?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:38 pm

I'm considering using a personal statement that expresses my interest in health law. My immediate family has had a couple of very serious medical problems, one relating to the cost of health care, and another relating to malpractice. With the Affordable Care Act being such a divisive political topic, would this be a risky personal statement? I don't intend on directly addressing the law, but I've seen many people say that it's a bad idea to choose a controversial topic. As long as I primarily discuss my general interest in Health/Medical law, would this be an okay topic?

Stinson

Re: PS about Health Law too controversial?

Postby Stinson » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:07 pm

The fact that the ACA is semi-controversial should not preclude you from writing a statement about health law generally; it is a very broad field. And as you said, I don't think the merits of the law itself likely factor into a personal statement.

You do, however, need to draw a clear and plausible line between your personal experiences with healthcare and why that leads you to have an interest in law, and possibly the kind of work you'd be interested in doing. Everyone has experiences with the healthcare system.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:18 pm

The topic of your PS should be you. You use something to show you. I don't see a problem here as long as you make the PS about you.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:25 pm

1. As noted above, make this about YOU.

2. 90% of your professors will be liberal, 50% of them will be outright shitlibs. So don't worry about it if you mention teh dreaded Obamacare.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll write a draft or two and see how it develops.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”