Strong "Why X" examples

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
pin_s

Strong "Why X" examples

Postby pin_s » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:40 am

Would anyone mind sending me some solid "Why X" law school personal statements? I'm trying to avoid sounding too predictable or over the top.

pin_s

Re: Strong "Why X" examples

Postby pin_s » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:41 am

Tips are also welcomed...

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:59 am

I'm curious as well. A link/post/PM would be much appreciated.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:12 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/appendixb.html

Have you guys seen this? I think it has some pretty solid examples

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:59 pm

Its eh.

pin_s

Postby pin_s » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:04 am

Yeah, I read through all of these before posting this. They aren't particularly compelling. That's why I was hoping someone could mention good points/good topics to cover when writing about a particular school.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:25 am

This might come off as painfully obvious and somewhat condescending, but the only truly compelling "why X" essay is simply that: why you want to go to that law school in particular. If you can't come up with good reasons and explain those reasons clearly, you shouldn't be writing a "why X" statement. Regardless, the only times "why X" essays even tend to matter is when you're looking at YP situations and you're trying to avoid it. Reasons that are reasonable topics in a "why X" essay in that case go along the lines of: breadth of available courses in a particular area, personal reasons (family, SO, current geographic region, preference for big/small city, etc), particular strength in placement in a particular region/type of law firm/government/fed clerk positions, and anything else you can determine is particularly relevant to you in your law school choice. If your reasons for picking a school come down to relative ranking and scholarship amounts, you shouldn't even be writing a "why X." Save those reasons for your scholarship negotiations.

Try not to overthink the "why X" portion of your package, it'll matter very little. Just put reasonable, well thought out and well presented ideas on paper and run with it. In the end, it'll never make or break your application (unless your family founded the school or something like that).

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”