Just realized all apps have mention of "binding commitment"

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
User avatar
hardrive6
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:46 am

Just realized all apps have mention of "binding commitment"

Postby hardrive6 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:14 am

I submitted an app ED and made a concerted effort to adjust each PS for each school, but totally missed that the end of one sentence says 'is why I decided to make a binding commitment to enroll'. Next steps? :cry:

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Just realized all apps have mention of "binding commitment"

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:24 am

You mean, you had that line in your PS? (Why?)

Luckily for you, I don't think an otherwise non-binding ED agreement suddenly becomes binding just because you wrote that in your PS. Unluckily for you, it was a fairly silly thing to write and if the adcomm reading your PSes catches it, they may not be left with the best overall impression. But I don't think it would be any worse than a typo on the order of like a their/there mistake or something.

User avatar
hardrive6
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:46 am

Re: Just realized all apps have mention of "binding commitment"

Postby hardrive6 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:50 am

rinkrat19 wrote:You mean, you had that line in your PS? (Why?)

Luckily for you, I don't think an otherwise non-binding ED agreement suddenly becomes binding just because you wrote that in your PS. Unluckily for you, it was a fairly silly thing to write and if the adcomm reading your PSes catches it, they may not be left with the best overall impression. But I don't think it would be any worse than a typo on the order of like a their/there mistake or something.


Yes, it was in my PS. Not concerned about whether I created a contractual obligation (I obviously did not) so much as I am disappointed that I didn't catch it when making the changes from my ED PS to the more cookie-cutter RD PS. I assume that there is no way to amend the applications, considering some are already marked "Complete" but either way, needed a forum to vent/pity myself. It's particularly disappointing because each RD PS was fairly well-tailored for each school, with individual details, etc. Unfortunately the mistake was in the ED/RD transfer and thus made it into every one of the RD essays so far. Oh well -- guess I have now become just another cautionary tale.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Just realized all apps have mention of "binding commitment"

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:34 pm

You can email a replacement essay directly to the schools and most admissions offices will replace it in/add it to you file. But prevailing theory is that doing that just draws more attention to the screw-up. So unless the error is fairly catastrophic (missing a page, printed in comic sans, etc.) it's probably better to just leave it.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Just realized all apps have mention of "binding commitment"

Postby northwood » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:37 pm

worst case scenario is that you wait a year and reapply. I see no big deal here.

User avatar
hardrive6
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:46 am

Re: Just realized all apps have mention of "binding commitment"

Postby hardrive6 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:52 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:You can email a replacement essay directly to the schools and most admissions offices will replace it in/add it to you file. But prevailing theory is that doing that just draws more attention to the screw-up. So unless the error is fairly catastrophic (missing a page, printed in comic sans, etc.) it's probably better to just leave it.


Appreciate the advice, may very well do just that. Would likely disclose that I have applied ED somewhere else but that the school to which I am sending an amended PS is still one of my top choices. Would personally prefer to acknowledge and correct the mistake, however minor, than leave as is and let adcomms think I was oblivious to the issue.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Just realized all apps have mention of "binding commitment"

Postby northwood » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:55 pm

you do realize that if you are accepted ED, this is all a moot point anyways?

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Just realized all apps have mention of "binding commitment"

Postby hephaestus » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:13 pm

hardrive6 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:You can email a replacement essay directly to the schools and most admissions offices will replace it in/add it to you file. But prevailing theory is that doing that just draws more attention to the screw-up. So unless the error is fairly catastrophic (missing a page, printed in comic sans, etc.) it's probably better to just leave it.


Appreciate the advice, may very well do just that. Would likely disclose that I have applied ED somewhere else but that the school to which I am sending an amended PS is still one of my top choices. Would personally prefer to acknowledge and correct the mistake, however minor, than leave as is and let adcomms think I was oblivious to the issue.

Adcoms may just read this as you saying you would attend if accepted, which is a pretty common device in PSs. I would not worry too much, and I definitely would not send replacement essays.




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.