Hi cool kids. I now have a diversity statement. Help? :)

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
twenty

Hi cool kids. I now have a diversity statement. Help? :)

Postby twenty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:09 pm

Thanks for the help. :)
Last edited by twenty on Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fringles

Re: Hi cool kids. I now have a diversity statement. Help? :)

Postby fringles » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:31 pm

its a little flat, to be honest. really doesnt say much more than "im aware of my cultural identiy and of a moderate level of hardship."

diversity statements are for telling the readers things they cant find out elsewhere in your app. in this respect, you fail. its not going to hurt you, but in my opinion its wasted space.

now, i understand this is your diversity. and being black, gay, latin@ is a perfectly fine thing to write about. i just dont think you always need one if you are a urm.

sorry to be harsh

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Harshness is what I'm looking for -- if I wanted attaboys, I'd just show it to my parents. ;)

Thanks fringles. :)

fringles

Postby fringles » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:39 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Harshness is what I'm looking for -- if I wanted attaboys, I'd just show it to my parents. ;)

Thanks fringles. :)

cool.

just so im clear, i think if you talk about the same thing but with a more personal, unique, angle, you'll be golden.

also, you may want to consider this observation ive made as a 1L. before i thought wanting a diverse class was too abstract a thing to actually care about. i realize now its not. a lot of people at law school fit a pretty classic mold. the case for a better academic environment is still not terribly convincing to me, but it does make for a much better class in all other aspects. take away for you now is, differentiate yourself from the pack here in your ds and your candidacy will invariably receive a boost

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:52 am

Just wanted to hop on and say +1 to this not really being about you. A DS should highlight how you are different, not how the Mexican people, or even your family, are different. Your diversity of opinion can definitely be rooted in those things, but it still needs to focus on you more heavily. Also, I'm not sure the history lesson of Mexican slavery is really necessary in your description of how your Mexican heritage has impacted you. Were you constantly reminded of this lesson in history? Did it impact you on a regular basis? Did it somehow shape the way you think and the way you see the world in some direct way? Maybe it did, but I couldn't connect the dots with this DS.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”