start to personal statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

start to personal statement

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:53 pm

which start of the ps I go use:

My father’s legal disputes as a business owner had exposed me to the field of law. My father’s English was very poor and needed me to act as a translator for him when he was speaking to his lawyer. As a highschool freshman, I was speaking to attorneys on a weekly base. The more I spoke to them, the more I could see myself in their shoes. By my senior year of high school, my father had treated me like his own personal attorney. I was drafting leases and purchase and sale agreements for my father’s convenience stores. At the time, I felt that becoming an attorney was something that I wanted to do for a living.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What was scheduled to be an interview had just become a conversation. The first thing I was asked was ‘why did I want this legal internship, and why did I want to become an attorney’? I couldn’t answer this question for them completely because I wasn’t completely sure that I wanted to be an attorney.

MrSparkle

Re: start to personal statement

Postby MrSparkle » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:14 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:44 pm

how does this sound

My father’s legal disputes as a business owner had exposed me to the field of law. My father’s English was very poor and needed me to act as a translator for him when he was speaking to his lawyer. As a high school freshman, I was speaking to attorneys on a weekly base. The more I spoke to them, the more I could see myself in their shoes. By my senior year of high school, my father had treated me like his own personal attorney. I was drafting leases and purchase and sale agreements for my father’s convenience stores. Being an attorney had become something that I wanted to do for a living.
I have the habit of planning every step of my way before I start any journey. Step one was going to college for a bachelor’s degree. I went on to college knowing exactly what I want to do after college and exactly how I was going to get it, and 3 years later, here I am and step one is coming to an end. Step 2 was to gain law firm experience through a legal internship. It has been one year since I began working at ___ & ___, P.A and the experience has been phenomenal.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:57 am

You're creeping into writing a resume PS, which is almost never good. Don't outline things that will be seen elsewhere in your app unless you're somehow bringing a third dimension into it. You're heading down a bad path, so I'd turn back and figure out what message you want to send before you put words on the page. What new message do you want your PS to send? What qualities do you want to highlight? How can you bring quality to the law school classroom? This is what I want to see, not some regurgitation of your resume or some listless attempt at making me believe "this is always what I wanted to do!"

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”