Help me decide if i'm going in the right direction... Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Help me decide if i'm going in the right direction...

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:01 am

Hey, so I've started working on my PS. Running has been a pretty big part of my life and was so in college, so i've been seeing how I could work that into a ps and tie it to why lschool fits me. i don't have any monumental story or big moment that i can write about, and academically, what has peaked my interest isn't in any one story (I don't think).

Anyway, here is where I am so far, does this seem like an appropriate topic to use? Essentially i'm i'm trying to parallel the skills and experience i gained from this one story and how it mirrors the motivations I have to enter law, but i'm still trying to figure out how to get that on paper. please let me know if this seems appropriate or if this is off base with what a personal statement should be. Also pardon any and all grammar or mistakes, this isn't really edited, i just copy/pasted what i've gotten down so far.

"I looked up at the live results board, searching for a confirmation of what had just taken place. There it was: 5th place at the National Championships and a mere 37 points out of first, our lowest point total out of first in school history. Tears inside welted up, as I couldn’t help but feel a sense of pride looking at the results and that the effort I put in that season to be the best captain I could for the team was worth it. No, I didn’t run that day, but on a team of 40 guys, the odds are against you to be one of the seven best. Yet I felt just as invested and proud of the accomplishment, knowing full well all that we overcame to reach this point.
On the morning of July 14th, 2012, the challenges facing the team and I took an unexpected turn. That morning a member of the girls team was hit and killed by a drunk driver while out on a run. Gabby was a unique and inspiring person, beloved by all, and an integral part of the heart and soul of the team. She was not just a friend and teammate to everyone on the cross-country men and women’s teams; she was part of our family. I had many lofty goals set in place leading up to the season, ideas for where I wanted to take the team, how I wanted to lead, and the underlying theme. But "

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”