PS Advice

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

PS Advice

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:22 am

I'm working on my PS and I have three topics in mind on which I could write a PS. But my question is does it have to say in it that YES I WANT TO GO TO LAW SCHOOL? Or can it be more of an introduction of myself and how a large obstacle impacted my decision to attend law school. Or could it have nothing in it regarding law school (except at the end where I have a clever tie in in mind) and be just more about how I overcame the obstacle (medical related) and how I grew as a person during the time that said medical related obstacle was taking place?

Thanks for replies.

Re: PS Advice

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:27 am

There are varying opinions on this, but my view is that a PS doesn't necessarily have to explicitly explain "why law school" or "why I'd be awesome at law school" or even mention law school. BUT it also shouldn't leave the reader actively wondering WHY you're applying to law school. It's fine to write a PS about your lifelong passion for competitive origami, but if the adcomm finishes it and wonders "well, why isn't this guy pursing his dream of Olympic origami gold, then?" it's probably a good idea to transition the PS to "why law school" at some point. But if the PS is more just "this is who I am and this is something that happened to me while competing in an origami tournament which illustrates some useful qualities I possess," then that might not need any "why law school."

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”