Should I write a Diversity Statement?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Should I write a Diversity Statement?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:45 pm

I tried looking through old threads, but I couldn't find a definitive (probably because there isn't one). But, will my cycle be impacted negatively if I don't write a diversity statement?

I'm a white, middle class male, so, in terms of race and class I don't add anything to a school's diversity.

The best thing I could come up with is a statement discussing my father and the impact he has had on me. He was born to refugee parents, and english was his second language, and he grew up with much less than I did. Growing up with a middle class lifestyle while constantly being exposed to his side of the family has made me appreciate the advantages I have and that others don't. Is this worth dedicating a diversity statement to?

Ramius

Re: Should I write a Diversity Statement?

Postby Ramius » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:11 pm

You definitely do not need a DS in your application. It would probably hurt you more than help you if you ramble off some pointless BS about how you are different. This is kind of like an addendum: if you don't have a good reason to write one, just don't do it. Not having one won't negatively affect your cycle.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”