Mention Significant Other?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Mention Significant Other?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:46 pm

I've done some searching and can't find a thread that addresses this issue specifically, so here it goes:

My SO (soon-to-be fiancee currently) is applying to public policy masters programs at the same time that I'm applying to law school, and we've compiled a list of schools that overlap and would be strong options for both of us.

My question is whether I should mention this in my "Why X" statements at these specific schools (primarily re: Mich/Duke/Penn). I'm a perfect YP candidate at MVP with a 3.5-3.7/175+, and I've been thinking of this as a way to potentially avoid that, but I really have no idea if it is a good idea or not.

Any input is appreciated.

Redamon1

Re: Mention Significant Other?

Postby Redamon1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:03 am

First, I don't think you'll necessarily be YP. Maybe but I wouldn't say you're "perfect" YP material. To your question, in general I would say don't mention the SO. The reasons are (1) that is probably not a decision-making factor for the schools and (2) it sounds like your SO doesn't yet have offers in those regions so it's premature for you to claim that you are really interested in anyone of these schools for that reason. Consider raising that point, if at all, at a later stage when your SO has an actual offer, for example while you negotiated scholarships in the spring.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:01 am

I have to disagree with Redamon1 on this one. While your Why X shouldn't center on your SO going to a similar program, you can absolutely mention your desire to go there because it matches up well with another major part of your life. In your case, while you may not be a "perfect" YP candidate, addressing how personal factors will affect your decision (ADCOMMs know they do) will give them more justification to accept you from the outset. With your numbers, you're definitely in HYS territory, so a reason to believe you really would want to attend a lower T14 might give them the push they need.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:30 am

matthewsean85 wrote:I have to disagree with Redamon1 on this one. While your Why X shouldn't center on your SO going to a similar program, you can absolutely mention your desire to go there because it matches up well with another major part of your life. In your case, while you may not be a "perfect" YP candidate, addressing how personal factors will affect your decision (ADCOMMs know they do) will give them more justification to accept you from the outset. With your numbers, you're definitely in HYS territory, so a reason to believe you really would want to attend a lower T14 might give them the push they need.

I agree.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:38 am

I would mention it. It's a concrete "Why X" to add to the normal reasons.

stephenholder

Postby stephenholder » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:53 am

Edit.
Last edited by stephenholder on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks for the responses guys. Really helpful stuff.

Do you think it's necessary or helpful to mention her by name? Or is "my fiancee/significant other/whatever" sufficient to get my point across? I'm definitely leaning toward the latter at the moment, but I appreciate any further insight.

chem

Postby chem » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. Really helpful stuff.

Do you think it's necessary or helpful to mention her by name? Or is "my fiancee/significant other/whatever" sufficient to get my point across? I'm definitely leaning toward the latter at the moment, but I appreciate any further insight.

I also did this. Fiancee for me, so thats what I used. overlapping schools FTW

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”