Minor C&F Question Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Minor C&F Question

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:22 pm

Long story short: Junior year of college I was taken into protective custody by the local police because I was drunk and passed out near a friends house. I was released a couple hours later once I sobered up. I was over 21, and in Massachusetts there's no such thing as public intoxication.

MA says this about protective custody: "A person assisted to a facility or held in protective custody by the police pursuant to the provisions of this section, shall not be considered to have been arrested or to have been charged with any crime."

My school made me talk to a counselor to make sure I didn't do this regularly (I didn't/don't, sort of a freak occurrence), but otherwise didn't care. Given that this was not an arrest and I didn't violate any laws or get any discipline from my school, is there any need to disclose this?

Thoughts TLS?

Clearly

Gold

Re: Minor C&F Question

Post by Clearly » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Depends on the specific wording of the application, but usually no, you wouldn't disclose unless it specified police intervention/contact etc.

Anonymous User

Re: Minor C&F Question

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:06 pm

OP here: Yeah. I've now looked through a couple different c&f/conduct sections, and it just doesn't seem to qualify as a reportable offense. It wasn't a violation of the law, nor was it an arrest, nor was there any penalty legally or with my school.

Unless it's required of me, I see no reason to go out of my way to tell law schools about that one time I got hopelessly (albeit legally) drunk in college.

Thanks for the response!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”