Avoid this topic?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
HarvardHopeful

Avoid this topic?

Postby HarvardHopeful » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:30 pm

x
Last edited by HarvardHopeful on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Re: Avoid this topic?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:33 pm

As long as the PS is about YOU, not your brother, there's no problem with the death of a brother as a topic. Whether the PS is any good depends on your writing.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:10 am

The death of a family member can be a good topic. Write about what is important to you.
My PS dealt in part with the death of my father and all the shit that happened after. I didn't tie it into why law though . Just who I am. Not sure it helped me but it definitely didn't hurt.

Your story is your own. Don't be afraid to tell it.

HarvardHopeful

Postby HarvardHopeful » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:20 am

Last edited by HarvardHopeful on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:53 am

I don't think personal statements have to say why law. I think asha from Yale has a blog post about that.

My feeling is that you can write a better statement about who you are writing about your life over writing about a book. I like the insight that your drive is your own. And you can write about your accomplishments too.

HarvardHopeful

Postby HarvardHopeful » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:49 pm

NYstate wrote:I don't think personal statements have to say why law. I think asha from Yale has a blog post about that.

My feeling is that you can write a better statement about who you are writing about your life over writing about a book. I like the insight that your drive is your own. And you can write about your accomplishments too.

Thanks asha's blog post was helpful thanks for referring it!

I think I'm going to go for it.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:33 pm

HarvardHopeful wrote:
NYstate wrote:I don't think personal statements have to say why law. I think asha from Yale has a blog post about that.

Thanks asha's blog post was helpful thanks for referring it!

I think I'm going to go for it.

Good idea. I think you can get a great PS out of your story.

Sorry I didn't post the link for you. I'll put it the link to her blog in case anyone else is reading and wants to find it.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... fault.aspx

HarvardHopeful

Postby HarvardHopeful » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:08 pm

I just finished a first rough draft on this subject and was hoping someone could help me out by giving some advice and/or editing it. Now that I'm finished this draft, I know I want to keep this topic but I'm willing to change content and definitely open to any advice people have!

I can PM it or can send it by email.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”