Help me shape a topic on personal statement pleaseeeee

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Help me shape a topic on personal statement pleaseeeee

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:16 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Help me shape a topic on personal statement pleaseeeee

Postby anubis1911 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:37 pm

Unless you were born and remember Iran, stay away from that story. Your whole PS will be about your parents and not you. The adcomms don't care about your parents.
The second option seems interesting. You could tie it into a brief synopsis of your viewpoints on judicial equality among classes of people. That's what I would do.

Re: Help me shape a topic on personal statement pleaseeeee

Postby gonewiththewind » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know what to write about. I think I have some good experiences but no I don't know how to relate it to law school.
Some ideas I have
1) My parents are Iranian immigrants, left Iran during the revolution and came to America to get an education. Their education was what saved them and allowed them to stay in America, so that was a part of the reason I have always appreciated and respected the value of education.
2) I lived in Europe for 6 months, while there I did a good amount of community service. Primarily I went on food runs late at night to deliver sack dinners to gypsies who slept in the metro stations, parks, church steps etc. One group in particular lived behind a grocery store in Paris and every night for 3 weeks I went back there and gave them food and would talk to the one who could speak english, learned a lot about their struggle.

Is there anything here I can work with to write a good essay?? Any feedback appreciated

It doesn't have to be something groundbreaking. You don't have to win a Nobel. You could write about an everyday experience, an academic experience, an abroad experience, anything that YOU experienced that sheds light on you. Someone I knew wrote a PS about cleaning up a kitchen, and that worked out for him.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”