Generic PS AND Why X, or one or the other?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
TheSpanishMain

Generic PS AND Why X, or one or the other?

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:15 am

Never been quite able to hash this out. Some posts seem to suggest one, some the other.

When people suggest writing a "Why X" type statement, is that in addition to the regular personal statement, or in lieu of? I have a personal statement I plan on using at all schools I apply to, but would it also be a good idea to write a short statement describing my interest for each school? Or is doing both the wrong answer?

politics89

Re: Generic PS AND Why X, or one or the other?

Postby politics89 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:52 am

Im by no means an expert, but I would definately NOT submit a Why X in lieu of a personal statement. Your PS is a super important way to sell yourself and I wouldn't pass up the oppurtunity to show that to admissions.

As for Why X, I would focus my time elsewhere if my numbers were already above the median for the schools (unless I was afraid of being YP'ed). And if its HYS, it doesn't seem worth bothering because they know why you want to go there....

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:04 am

I guess what I'm saying is, if you write a "Why X" statement, does that take the place of your personal statement? If you write both (and I already have a PS I plan on using) is the school going to wonder why you're handing in two?

politics89

Postby politics89 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:06 am

And what I'm saying is DON'T submit just a Why X. It doesn't take the place of a PS.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:17 am

Sounds good, thanks.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”