Diversity Statement help

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Diversity Statement help

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:44 pm

I'm looking for insight on the diversity statement. Applying ED and am curious what the right move is--I don't have anything that jumps out at me as a good topic for a diversity statement, do not come from an ethnic minority/poverty etc. Is it better to force something (I could write something about being the grandchild of Holocaust survivors and how that background has affected me/will contribute in law school?) or to simply not write a diversity statement? In other words, how important is the diversity statement? Thanks.

Re: Diversity Statement help

Postby ALF » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Check out the advice on the TLS Guide to Personal Statements. There is advice about Diversity Statements at http://www.top-law-schools.com/appendixd.html.

“Diversity” is as diverse as the word itself suggests, and applicants are free to include a brief statement about what gives them an original, uncommon perspective. “Some diversity can be described as ethnic, racial, national, or religious—in other words, identity diversity,” explains Dean Victoria Ortiz. “There is also geographic diversity, political diversity, age diversity, gender identity diversity, and sexual orientation diversity, among others. The diversity statement is a chance for the applicant to show us what is unique about him or her.”

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”