Teaching English in Brazil Personal Statement Worthy?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
carloney

Teaching English in Brazil Personal Statement Worthy?

Postby carloney » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi,
Just trying to nail down a topic and I wanted some advice from the folks here.
I posted in another forum that talked about some transcript issues from my time studying in Brazil, but it wasn't all bad haha.

Anyway, I lived in Brazil from January 2012 to July 2012 and attended a Brazilian Architecture school as an exchange student for their version of Spring semester. While I was there I taught English in a semi-established program to people who you would consider impoverished. The classes were made of anybody who wanted to learn and consisted of young children all the way to people in their 50s or 60s.
I also think writing about this would give me a good chance to highlight my foreign language proficiency and talk about a study abroad experience that not many people have, especially since it is more common in undergrad to go to Spain, Germany, etc...

It had a pretty big effect on me, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to relate it back to "Why law?". From my understanding I don't necessarily have to though. My Portuguese isn't as polished as it was while I was there, but it's still pretty darn good. Would that be a problem?

Any guidance would be appreciated
Thanks

cinephile

Re: Teaching English in Brazil Personal Statement Worthy?

Postby cinephile » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:19 pm

You don't have to relate your experiences to "why law." Just write a story and talk about yourself. What effect did it have on you? That's a good place to start.

carloney

Postby carloney » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Good to know. I tend to over think things, and I was worried that admissions would be thinking "if you enjoyed teaching english so much why aren't you pursuing that?".

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:50 pm

carloney wrote:Good to know. I tend to over think things, and I was worried that admissions would be thinking "if you enjoyed teaching english so much why aren't you pursuing that?".

Don't leave them wondering that. You can speak positively about life events without implying you want to do just that thing forever.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:05 pm

I worked in Malaysia for a few years and wrote about my experiences meeting people from different cultures/experiencing different things at that time and in my past, nothing to do with the law. Did fine with a few surprise acceptances that I believe were based off of that.

carloney

Postby carloney » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:27 pm

I worked in Malaysia for a few years and wrote about my experiences meeting people from different cultures/experiencing different things at that time and in my past, nothing to do with the law. Did fine with a few surprise acceptances that I believe were based off of that.

Wow that is encouraging :)

Of course you were there for years compared to my 6 months.

Good to know, thanks for the replies.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”