Include name of law school in PS?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
karmapolicelady

Include name of law school in PS?

Postby karmapolicelady » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in a search of the site. I was wondering if applicants should include the specific name of the law school in each personal statement, either in a sentence such as "and I would bring these skills to X Law School" or in a paragraph talking a bit about the school and why the applicant would be a good fit for that school in particular (maybe in a conclusion wrapping up whatever the applicant has discussed and relating it back to a specific law school). I've seen varying advice about whether to include a specific law school's name in each personal statement or to leave it generic, discussing law school in general. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D !

jselson

Re: Include name of law school in PS?

Postby jselson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:19 pm

karmapolicelady wrote:I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in a search of the site. I was wondering if applicants should include the specific name of the law school in each personal statement, either in a sentence such as "and I would bring these skills to X Law School" or in a paragraph talking a bit about the school and why the applicant would be a good fit for that school in particular (maybe in a conclusion wrapping up whatever the applicant has discussed and relating it back to a specific law school). I've seen varying advice about whether to include a specific law school's name in each personal statement or to leave it generic, discussing law school in general. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D !

If it's token name-dropping, no school's gonna care. If it's a sustained, well-researched, non-canned response, then it might be a good idea, depending on what your PS is. You can usually also write a "Why X?" statement instead. (I personally think this is better to do than change your PS for every school, since I put a high premium on overall coherence in PS-like writing, and I'd be worried about losing that by changing each PS.)

For me, I sent the exact same PS to every school and didn't include a school's name on any, and didn't do a "Why X?" for any. My cycle turned out basically exactly as expected given my numbers and background.

mmbt123

Re: Include name of law school in PS?

Postby mmbt123 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:19 pm

Agreed. My pre-law office advised me not to. Apparently, way more people than you'd think screw it up and say they want to attend the wrong school.

I just wrote separate Why X essays for the schools that usually ppl submit them for (I forget which ones...like Penn, Michigan). And if saved some for letters of continued interest.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”