PS topic Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
asteven2012

New

PS topic

Post by asteven2012 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:51 pm

I am having a hard time deciding what to write on for my personal statement. I am leaning toward- Grew up in poverty and was homeless/ lived in substandard housing for years- to serving with americorps- wanting to go to law. One problem I'm having with this one is that I am working at low income housing non-profits right now and I want to focus my law career on domestic violence and sexual assault so I am having a hard time tying them together.

My other options are
- Why I want to focus on domestic violence and sexual assault, but I feel like it's not personal enough (unless I make it too personal)
-Focus on my time as a collegiate gymnast
-Focus only on Americorps and being an advocate
I'm sure I have other options if I brainstorm more.

Thanks for any help!

nickb285

Silver

Re: PS topic

Post by nickb285 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:02 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmbt123

New

Re: PS topic

Post by mmbt123 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:47 pm

I kind of think the americorp thing sounds promising. I also had an area of law that I was just starting to get interested in for a very personal reason. I talked about it in the diversity statement instead so maybe you can think about whether that would work for your particular case. Or if not, and you really want them to know of this interest, you might fold it in during a "why x school" essay and mention a professor or clinic leader who has particular expertise in teh area. good luck!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”