Personal Statement Topic Advice

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Mojosodope

Personal Statement Topic Advice

Postby Mojosodope » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:37 pm

I am looking for some advice on which topics to use and how to exactly make it flow. Both my parents were addicts and both died before I graduated from HS. Even with these struggles did well in HS and went onto college as an independent student. Made the Dean's List every semester my first two years, then decided to take a break to return home to be close to my ailing grandparents. Started my own business during this time and ran it successfully for two years before I decided to return back to school to finish my degree.

My interest for law has came from dealing with the legal system frequently throughout my life, my parent's legal issues, my parent's estates, and my grandfather having a Supreme Court case for misappropriation of Trade Secrets that I heard about all the time growing up.

I'm not sure if I should include my reason's wanting to go to law school, or if I should just tell the story about the challenges I have overcame and what my goals are.

Ixiion

Re: Personal Statement Topic Advice

Postby Ixiion » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:40 pm

Mojosodope wrote:I'm not sure if I should include my reason's wanting to go to law school, or if I should just tell the story about the challenges I have overcame and what my goals are.

I think you could do both quite easily, and it would be an extremely powerful PS. You could weave in your inspiration for being a lawyer with the story about your parents and whatnot.

francesfarmer

Re: Personal Statement Topic Advice

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:48 pm

PM'd.

Your PS should be focused. If you're going to write about your parents, write about your parents, not the trade secrets thing, the deans list, or the business you started. 2/3 of those things will appear on your resume.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”