When to write my ps and how I should write ot Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
azditamo

New

When to write my ps and how I should write ot

Post by azditamo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:08 am

Currently I am studying for the October lsat. My question is when should I start writing my ps? A little background on me I am a AA like born in Africa came here when I was 6 (even though i was young i remember everything and remember seeing a lot of injustice in regards to the cops and how things ran there)I wanted to incorporate that into my ps (withouth turning it into a autobiography) but I have no idea how to. It would be easy if I was going to study immigration law or international law but I want to be a prosecutor or get into civil litigation.

Anyways any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Clearly

Gold

Re: When to write my ps and how I should write ot

Post by Clearly » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:00 am

Write it whenever you feel like it, but do leave yourself time to do many revisions.

As for your career goals and your personal statement, it doesn't matter at all. The idea is to get into law school. If you're doing your statement on your childhood in Africa, and how it effected your life in America, you don't have to mention your goals at all. Frankly, you could put whatever career goals you want for all anyone cares, peoples goals change, schools know this, the C+F board knows this. Its not like whatever goal you state in your PS statement is binding to your career. The only thing you would want to avoid is putting a goal that is clearly out of touch with the reality of the legal market. Putting you want to be a pioneer in inter-planetary copyright enforcement or something equally dumb would just make you look bad.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Re: When to write my ps and how I should write ot

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:11 am

A solid format is about adjusting to change and excelling. Intertwined with that journey you can highlight where you developed your passion for advocacy.

Struggle -> Overcome -> Excel -> Developed or nurtured passion for advocacy. Do this without being cheesy and without making too many references to "being a lawyer" or "going to law school" and I think you could have a really compelling piece.

The URM status doesn't hurt either ;)

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”