PS topic, Public Interest

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
politics89

PS topic, Public Interest

Postby politics89 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:41 pm

I'm currently in the stages of starting to brainstorm a topic and have just been doing some free writing. All the essay help books I pick up are all essays by people who seem to have amazing accomplishments or are very diverse whereas I feel like I'm just a very average applicant.

I felt my best topic was when I was studying abroad (I know cliche but that's not what it's really about), I picked up a book about current affairs and I realized I was way more interested in that than the art history major I was pursuing at the time. I wanted to focus on politics and government being a huge passion of mine.

However, I was wondering if law schools would take that I should be pursuing a masters or such and not a law degree? The plan was to tie it back to law but I was having trouble articulating that.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I was finding this whole process tough to get rolling. Thanks in advance.

Update: As I continue to work on this I was thinking of transitioning from this discovery into how I now have a job in this field and how I am constantly surrounded by law and I've seen how helpful a better understanding of it would be. I didn't really have any interest in law school in UG, it wasnt until I was in the "real world" and had a job that I considered it. Is that something to avoid or to mention?

politics89

Re: PS topic, Public Interest

Postby politics89 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:10 pm

No one?

If anyone wants they can PM me and I'll help you on yours if you help me on mine (not that I'm an expert but I can try really hard :) )

nugnoy

Postby nugnoy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:53 am

I know how you feel - I feel exactly the same. I haven't been persecuted or been a starting player for a university level football team. Or worked 10 years in lab and discovered a new reagent or something like that.

I think the abroad & picking up a book would make a good hook. But from what you've said so far, it should ONLY make the hook and it shouldn't be the crux of the "why law." Are you gonna say politics and gov being a huge passion of yours? Has it always been a huge passion? I wouldn't find that very credible unless you backed it up with some long-term involvement. Did it become a passion after this abroad incident? That sounds more likely, although it still needs support. Did you get involved in some way? Also, I'd do my best to use the book pickup as just one incident relevant to your change in attitude toward law, not the crucial one. I would in general find it difficult to find credible one book causing a huge life change (career interest).

At this point, I'm thinking one approach could be - hook sentence on dramatically describing the moment you picked up/noticed/read something interesting from the book. Transition into the main chunk of how your passion for politics/government began. One thing though, passion for politics/government still doesn't fully justify "why law." You could do a bunch of other jobs. You would strengthen your case if you took it a step further and concretely connected politics/government to law.

Honestly, just find a way to connect it to law. I mean, there's gotta be so many compelling ways to connect your specific interest in politics/government into law - you just gotta find one. I said that you haven't connected above, but not that you can't or that it'll be difficult for you to do so. This really will be the time consuming part, and I wouldn't consider it slow if it takes one month to articulate "why law" as long as you come up with a good reason.

BTW, you don't HAVE to explain why law depending on the prompt. Some prompts just ask you to describe yourself. In those ones, you can focus on advertising yourself. Maybe you can tie it into law somehow. I ended up just writing something personal to me and it somehow connected into law. I'll put it in this forum sometime, so you'll be able to read it then if you want.

Yes, concrete description of your interaction with law in an actual workplace, in my opinion, is one of the BEST reasons to support "why law." I wouldn't focus on how you weren't interested it in in undergrad. If you really want to emphasize your CHANGE, then maybe a line (and even then I'd just say "I was surprised to see how important law is" not "I believed law was unimportant/uninteresting" etc basically I would avoid sounding negative towards law, even as to contrast a change).

politics89

Postby politics89 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:35 am

nugnoy wrote:I think the abroad & picking up a book would make a good hook. But from what you've said so far, it should ONLY make the hook and it shouldn't be the crux of the "why law." Are you gonna say politics and gov being a huge passion of yours? Has it always been a huge passion? I wouldn't find that very credible unless you backed it up with some long-term involvement. Did it become a passion after this abroad incident? That sounds more likely, although it still needs support. Did you get involved in some way? Also, I'd do my best to use the book pickup as just one incident relevant to your change in attitude toward law, not the crucial one. I would in general find it difficult to find credible one book causing a huge life change (career interest).

It hasnt always been a big passion of mine. After I picked up the book, I did a lot of reading and realized it was and I switched my major to poli sci. I think I can back it up as I've been working in the field now for a year after graduation and I interned in it during college. By the time I apply, I'll have two years WE as a legislative aide.

At this point, I'm thinking one approach could be - hook sentence on dramatically describing the moment you picked up/noticed/read something interesting from the book. Transition into the main chunk of how your passion for politics/government began. One thing though, passion for politics/government still doesn't fully justify "why law." You could do a bunch of other jobs. You would strengthen your case if you took it a step further and concretely connected politics/government to law.

Honestly, just find a way to connect it to law. I mean, there's gotta be so many compelling ways to connect your specific interest in politics/government into law - you just gotta find one. I said that you haven't connected above, but not that you can't or that it'll be difficult for you to do so. This really will be the time consuming part, and I wouldn't consider it slow if it takes one month to articulate "why law" as long as you come up with a good reason.

BTW, you don't HAVE to explain why law depending on the prompt. Some prompts just ask you to describe yourself. In those ones, you can focus on advertising yourself. Maybe you can tie it into law somehow. I ended up just writing something personal to me and it somehow connected into law. I'll put it in this forum sometime, so you'll be able to read it then if you want.

Yes, concrete description of your interaction with law in an actual workplace, in my opinion, is one of the BEST reasons to support "why law." I wouldn't focus on how you weren't interested it in in undergrad. If you really want to emphasize your CHANGE, then maybe a line (and even then I'd just say "I was surprised to see how important law is" not "I believed law was unimportant/uninteresting" etc basically I would avoid sounding negative towards law, even as to contrast a change).

The connecting part is definitely the hardest part for me, my work has made me see how helpful a law degree would be because I spend all day writing and reading it. I think politics could tie in because I dont ever want to do campaigning or such, just work legislation. I appreciate all your advice a lot!

politics89

Postby politics89 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:06 pm

risanian wrote:Howdy Y'all!

I'm working on a website, called I'll Read Yours If You Read Mine ([Hi, I'm trying to spam you!]), where we can post our personal statement and other users can review them. Since its only purpose is personal statement review, it is far more organized and efficient than the current process. Reviewers are guided by specific questions, with a general comments section at the end for additional comments, making the review much more thorough and ultimately more valuable. Unstructured reviews, like the ones on this board, are much more susceptible to reviews that just state "I thought it was great" or the like.

I have contacted Admissions Deans from top law schools (Including Harvard, Stanford, and Yale) for tips and to see what questions reviews should be answering when reviewing a personal statement.

The website will be free, just like TLS, I am developing, maintaining, and hosting the website myself, so if anyone has any ideas, comments, or issues please just send me an email via the website or PM me on TLS. To use the website all you need to do is create a login to post/view posts. The server will send you an email every time a user reviews your personal statement.

The website will be competed soon and ill post it all over TLS when completed, please spread the word to your fellow law school applicants. Thanks!

The Competed website will be posted on [Hi, I'm trying to spam you!]

Raffi

Do you have any thoughts on my topic or are you just spamming?

nugnoy

Postby nugnoy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Holy cow that risanian guy has posted like 10 same posts. He's pretty much spamming.

His post is borderline relevant because you could interpret it as his giving you a further resource to get your PS read.

But that's really stretching it. His website isn't complete - he should've posted it after it was done. His model, as he describes it, is unconvincing - it seems like I only get one person to read mine. If this is wrong, he should've described it more clearly on the first page. His posts and website have typos. Typos themselves don't make me think his work is bad, but in this situation it just reduces my like for him just a little bit. And he could've advertised more relevantly by asking TLS mods for permission to make ONE thread dedicated to his website like some admission consultants do (like Spivey) or some LSAT prep companies do (like Manhattan).

I don't think it was a good idea to do this, and above paragraph concretely explains why and what I would've done differently. Not all advertisements are good - attempts like this makes me dislike this website even before I gave it a shot. But I do like it that he did post a PS review after being called out on it - at least he's willing to contribute to the community a bit instead of just "sticker"ing his website all over the place. But it was still forced and he could've approached this forum much more positively.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:29 pm

nugnoy wrote:Holy cow that risanian guy has posted like 10 same posts. He's pretty much spamming.

His post is borderline relevant because you could interpret it as his giving you a further resource to get your PS read.

But that's really stretching it. His website isn't complete - he should've posted it after it was done. His model, as he describes it, is unconvincing - it seems like I only get one person to read mine. If this is wrong, he should've described it more clearly on the first page. His posts and website have typos. Typos themselves don't make me think his work is bad, but in this situation it just reduces my like for him just a little bit. And he could've advertised more relevantly by asking TLS mods for permission to make ONE thread dedicated to his website like some admission consultants do (like Spivey) or some LSAT prep companies do (like Manhattan).

I don't think it was a good idea to do this, and above paragraph concretely explains why and what I would've done differently. Not all advertisements are good - attempts like this makes me dislike this website even before I gave it a shot. But I do like it that he did post a PS review after being called out on it - at least he's willing to contribute to the community a bit instead of just "sticker"ing his website all over the place. But it was still forced and he could've approached this forum much more positively.

This.

Hopefully TLS blocks him so people know this behavior isnt encouraged.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”