Career as a law school Professor Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Career as a law school Professor

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:33 pm

What is the best way to go about doing this?

I've had one Professor that taught criminal law my first year that never took his bar exam so he was never a practicing attorney but he has worked as a special witness for the state and he has been a professor of sociology for a long time.

I'm currently at a T1 school around the mid twenties. I rank around the top 5%. Should I try pursuing an LLM or a PhD in law? I don't want to practice law as a attorney for too long. I don't mind working at a very bad law school, like a T3 or T4

Also, how many law school professors have a net worth over 20 million? I know about half of mines are really rich or really poor. By really poor I mean under 300,000 a year including salary and outside projects.

banana$$stand

New

Re: Career as a law school Professor

Post by banana$$stand » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the best way to go about doing this?

I've had one Professor that taught criminal law my first year that never took his bar exam so he was never a practicing attorney but he has worked as a special witness for the state and he has been a professor of sociology for a long time.

I'm currently at a T1 school around the mid twenties. I rank around the top 5%. Should I try pursuing an LLM or a PhD in law? I don't want to practice law as a attorney for too long. I don't mind working at a very bad law school, like a T3 or T4

Also, how many law school professors have a net worth over 20 million? I know about half of mines are really rich or really poor. By really poor I mean under 300,000 a year including salary and outside projects.
This is awesome

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:50 pm

I don't even know where to start. This might be worse than the majority of scifiguy's threads.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:54 pm

The gist of if is outside of HYS, don't count on it, outside of HYS and a handful of T14 schools (most notably UChi) really don't count on it, and when you start getting out of the T20 T25 range it starts to become closer to impossible.

The trad path is top ranked school, COA clerkship, 3 or 4 years at a big name firm, then enter the meat market. All the while publishing which is key.

Another route some take is PhD, some fields it is a bigger help than others (Econ).

In regards to LLM, the general rule of thumb is it may help "clense" your résumé if you didn't go to a top school and get an LLM from Yale or something. Like most things in the legal profession, hierarchy really comes into play whether that is fair or not.

In regards to money, don't become a law professor to be rich. Virtually all law processors (though well paid) can make more if they had stayed practicing. Academia in general is seeing the loss of a lot of tenured positions being replaced by cheaper non tenured positions, and legal academia is no exception.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, how many law school professors have a net worth over 20 million? I know about half of mines are really rich or really poor. By really poor I mean under 300,000 a year including salary and outside projects.
WTF??? I should pass this on to my law profs, they could use the laugh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vinnnyvincenzo

Bronze

Post by vinnnyvincenzo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:41 pm

Why is this in the "personal statements" forum?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:53 pm

weirdest thread ever.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”