Help personal statement topic!

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Help personal statement topic!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:28 pm

I have an idea of what I want to write about for my personal statement but I am having trouble figuring out how to link it to law school. I am a child of immigrants, my parents moved to the US for college during the Iranian revolution. They both saw first hand in their home country how everything can be taken away from you in the blink of an eye (as happened to a lot of their friends/family), but your education is something you always have. This is why when they came to america instead of going straight to work they went to school and did everything they could to work their way through and get a degree. That was what saved them from having to go back and why I was able to be raised here, so I grew up really appreciating the value of an education. I was always told about how lucky I am to be in a place where I have the right to pursue justice, especially as a woman. I think all of this definitely contributed to why I want to be a lawyer, but I'm not sure if this makes for a good personal statement and how I could tie it all together so it completely relates to my law school aspirations. Any ideas??

NYstate

Re: Help personal statement topic!

Postby NYstate » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:53 pm

You have some excellent material to work with.

Maybe think of who you are now and how those experiences shaped who you are. Don't just write a story of what happened to your family. You need to focus more on you and what impacted you. Don't just talk about what you were told. Show how these things are important to understanding who you are as a person.

Just one idea.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”