Critique my statement to harvard Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
alexrodriguez

Silver

Re: Critique my statement to harvard

Post by alexrodriguez » Tue May 07, 2013 12:21 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't think intuitive means what you think it means...
1. direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension.
2. a fact, truth, etc., perceived in this way.
3. a keen and quick insight.
4. the quality or ability of having such direct perception or quick insight.

I choose #3

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 07, 2013 12:45 am

louierodriguez wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't think intuitive means what you think it means...
1. direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension.
2. a fact, truth, etc., perceived in this way.
3. a keen and quick insight.
4. the quality or ability of having such direct perception or quick insight.

I choose #3
Um, #3 is a noun, and intuitive is an adjective. (Actually, all these definitions are nouns.)

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Tue May 07, 2013 1:51 am

jesus, you win.

I should have just said intelligent.

if this is the sort of stuff I'm going to be dealing with at law school... oh buddy, I'm in for a treat.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Tue May 07, 2013 2:40 am

Here are the odds you're looking at (going up to 180 on the LSAT)... and FWIW, the military bump is only a couple of points on the LSAT, so not gonna change the outcome in this case with your GPA

However, if you want to go to ANOTHER law school, I would suggest perusing this forum looking at other personal statements written by people who got into a T6 school or so... that should give you an idea what you're looking for. Also, I might suggest looking at Anna Ivey's blog posts on it, or Stanford's admission dean's blog, or Yale's admission dean's blog series - note, for the first two, I only linked to one post, but I suggest scanning the rest for some valuable tips. HLS' blog is not quite as useful, but I really think you can get an idea of the quality/type of statements they are looking for at top schools

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 07, 2013 9:12 am

louierodriguez wrote:jesus, you win.

I should have just said intelligent.

if this is the sort of stuff I'm going to be dealing with at law school... oh buddy, I'm in for a treat.
Pretty much, dude.

I agree with NYstate about your PS - I actually think it was well-written, on the sentence/paragraph level (except the paragraph that goes from "I've always wanted to be a writer" to "I picked up and went to Korea" - there's nothing connecting these two ideas). But it comes across more as someone wanting to show off their writing skills than communicating a single coherent message.

(Like NYstate's post, this is based on my observation and analysis of your PS, not on my intuition.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”