Non traditional magic ps.

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Non traditional magic ps.

Postby mojotheamazing » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:08 am

Wondering if my personal statement is close to acceptable.
Any critique would be appreciated.

My favorite escape is the 75 foot rope mummy tie. The length of the rope makes the escape more impressive to the audience, but actually makes it easier to escape. As an undergraduate in college, I worked on the side as a performing escape artist and magician. Being an escape artist and magician not only requires the dexterity to perform the feats, but also the understanding of the audience’s perception. Performing gave me an understanding of the importance of perception in which I have built on throughout my life.

After graduating with a Bachelors of Science in Material Science & Engineering from the University ofxxxxxx I was fortunate to find a position with a small research and development firm that relied heavily on government contracts. I got great satisfaction out of finding a solution to the difficult problems on projects, whether figuring out how to do a tri-axial weave of carbon fibers for ion engine grids, or degassing intricate ceramic parts without cracking. Problem solving is less about coming up with new ideas, and more about comprehension of the factors responsible for the problem.

One of the most fulfilling experiences as an engineer was writing Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) grants, and one of my greatest achievements was the awarding of a phase I/II SBIR grant in which I was the main author. With a 40 page proposal, I was able to convince a board of experts in a field in which I had no significant background (magnetics) that my idea for a solution to their problem was worthy of an award for hundreds of thousands of dollars in research. Part of the effort during and after the research was protection of the emerging technology. Researching new technology kindled an interest in the protection of proprietary ideas and designs. I am excited in the prospect exploring the balance between privately owned and publicly shared innovation at LAW SCHOOL’S Intellectual Property Institute.

In 2007 I left my job to become a full time stay at home father. It seems like a big decision to leave a successful career to stay at home, but it was one of the easiest and best decisions I have ever made. There are easy fun times that everyone talks about, such as trips to the zoo and their first day of school. However, the times I like to remember are the hard ones where you know how much your family means to you. When my oldest child was one month old he had to have surgery. He was there for four days, he could not eat for three days, and I never left his side except when they took him into the operating room. The nurses never had a chance to change him, feed him, or comfort him. I was there for him. I can see the important things in life, and I have the determination to give everything to what matters.

I recently needed the advice and services of an attorney, my experience with him is one of the reasons I want to study law. After discussions with several different attorneys at other firms, I was referred to a LAW SCHOOL alumni. That decision to retain him made all the difference. He gave me honest advice about what I can and should expect. He also gave me a realistic and down-to-earth expectation of elements about which I could control. The outlook he gave me was immeasurably important, I want to be able to help people find that perspective.

If i had applied to law school when I was graduating college more than a decade ago, you would have read a statement from an eager but undisciplined youth. This statement is not from that youth. I can perceive the work and dedication it will take to excel in your program, and I know I have the ability to succeed at LAW SCHOOL.
Last edited by mojotheamazing on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:16 am, edited 6 times in total.

Re: Non traditional magic ps.

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:12 am

Needs work, I'll give more detail tomorrow, I'm exhausted. Consider this a tag so I remember to come share my opinion in the morning.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”