Bad topics

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Bad topics

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:29 pm

I've heard some different things from profs/advisors/ls students about this.

I ended up throwing in an application and got a full ride, so I figured I might as well throw in a few PT apps.

I have a very long history of addiction and mental health problems, and it's not possible to hide it on the app or whatever.

There's only one school I'm applying that I'm below median for PT (barely-gtown). I am re applying to 2 schools that I was accepted to FT last year. I'm assuming new PS.

Should I discuss overcoming addiction/mental health issues in the ps? I did hippe liberal non profit stuff, but it was not that meaningful.

Should I send gtown my old one? It's good, well written and safe. I agree that I shouldn't focus on a weakness, I'm just concerned because The drug and mental health stuff is all over my cf, and I'd like to try to show how I've gained a better understanding of things and have a different background than most law students.

I have the chance of re enrolling at my old school at a good price, so it's not a big deal of I get in or not. I have fee waivers from all of the schools so it's not costing me much.

Thanks for any feedback. I read some person statements in those best ps books and stuff that talked about addiction, but I kind of cringe thinking about the pros and cons of putting my life out there to law school admissions counselors. It's embarrassing, but I'm applying to a lot of very liberal schools.

Thanks again!

Redfactor

Re: Bad topics

Postby Redfactor » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard some different things from profs/advisors/ls students about this.

I ended up throwing in an application and got a full ride, so I figured I might as well throw in a few PT apps.

I have a very long history of addiction and mental health problems, and it's not possible to hide it on the app or whatever.

There's only one school I'm applying that I'm below median for PT (barely-gtown). I am re applying to 2 schools that I was accepted to FT last year. I'm assuming new PS.

Should I discuss overcoming addiction/mental health issues in the ps? I did hippe liberal non profit stuff, but it was not that meaningful.

Should I send gtown my old one? It's good, well written and safe. I agree that I shouldn't focus on a weakness, I'm just concerned because The drug and mental health stuff is all over my cf, and I'd like to try to show how I've gained a better understanding of things and have a different background than most law students.

I have the chance of re enrolling at my old school at a good price, so it's not a big deal of I get in or not. I have fee waivers from all of the schools so it's not costing me much.

Thanks for any feedback. I read some person statements in those best ps books and stuff that talked about addiction, but I kind of cringe thinking about the pros and cons of putting my life out there to law school admissions counselors. It's embarrassing, but I'm applying to a lot of very liberal schools.

Thanks again!

"Evidence of drug or alcohol abuse and evidence of mental or emotional instability which permanently, presently, or chronically impairs or distorts an applicant's judgment or behavior is relevant to whether the applicant is able to handle stress-related situations commonplace in law practice and whether the applicant is able to think clearly and analyze situations in a realistic and productive manner. An applicant's failure to acknowledge a substance abuse or disability problem, failure to seek or comply with prescribed treatment, or the inability of prescribed treatment to control or alleviate the conditions directly relate to whether the Supreme Court should certify that the applicant may represent, as a lawyer, the interests of other persons."

http://www.michbar.org/professional/step1.cfm

Before enrolling into law school, I would contact the state bar you wish to practice in to ensure that there isn't a possible issue. Would be a shame to do 3/4 years of law school to never be able to sit for the exam.

I think a lot of this has to deal with the mental health situation you're in. I feel that things like aspergers, turrets, or PTSD are going to be treated differently than someone with a history of hospitalization or schizophrenia. This is just speculation though.

SoberHobo

Postby SoberHobo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:48 pm

Redfactor wrote: "Evidence of drug or alcohol abuse and evidence of mental or emotional instability which permanently, presently, or chronically impairs or distorts an applicant's judgment or behavior is relevant to whether the applicant is able to handle stress-related situations commonplace in law practice and whether the applicant is able to think clearly and analyze situations in a realistic and productive manner. An applicant's failure to acknowledge a substance abuse or disability problem, failure to seek or comply with prescribed treatment, or the inability of prescribed treatment to control or alleviate the conditions directly relate to whether the Supreme Court should certify that the applicant may represent, as a lawyer, the interests of other persons."

Before enrolling into law school, I would contact the state bar you wish to practice in to ensure that there isn't a possible issue. Would be a shame to do 3/4 years of law school to never be able to sit for the exam.

I think a lot of this has to deal with the mental health situation you're in. I feel that things like aspergers, turrets, or PTSD are going to be treated differently than someone with a history of hospitalization or schizophrenia. This is just speculation though.

OP says he overcame it, and he has acknowledged it. What good is contacting the bar going to do? I see that response all the time when people come to these forums with CF issues. The bar examiners won't give him any answers, but just point him the the CF rules. Evaluations are made on a case by case basis when you apply for the bar. Just about any CF issue can be overcome. I'm just wondering.... why do I always see that response?

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:04 pm

SoberHobo wrote:
Redfactor wrote: "Evidence of drug or alcohol abuse and evidence of mental or emotional instability which permanently, presently, or chronically impairs or distorts an applicant's judgment or behavior is relevant to whether the applicant is able to handle stress-related situations commonplace in law practice and whether the applicant is able to think clearly and analyze situations in a realistic and productive manner. An applicant's failure to acknowledge a substance abuse or disability problem, failure to seek or comply with prescribed treatment, or the inability of prescribed treatment to control or alleviate the conditions directly relate to whether the Supreme Court should certify that the applicant may represent, as a lawyer, the interests of other persons."

OP says he overcame it, and he has acknowledged it. What good is contacting the bar going to do? I see that response all the time when people come to these forums with CF issues. The bar examiners won't give him any answers, but just point him the the CF rules. Evaluations are made on a case by case basis when you apply for the bar. Just about any CF issue can be overcome. I'm just wondering.... why do I always see that response?

That is the State Bar of Michigan. I have no idea what state OP wants to practice in or that state's bar requirements. I posted that less of a "this is the benchmark you must meet" and more of a "state bar associations take these things into account and drug / mental health has the ability to exclude you from admittance" type thing. I still feel that the OP would be benefited by contacting his/her bar and being completely open with them about history / circumstances. As s/he stated previously, this cannot be hidden. (I wouldn't suggest doing so even if it could be.) The bar will find out about it, so there is no downside to getting 100% clarity prior to investing in law school than after.

Besides, a lot of people who say they don't have a problem with substance abuse / mental health are not accurately assessing their situation. (Not saying this is the case here.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:48 pm

My state bar is very laid back compared to NY or CA or OH.

It can't currently impact one's ability to practice law. My previous school said I was fine, the only new thing was the arrest (I'm getting the most lenient sentence available) and pysch hospital. New meds, new dr's, maintemence for the addiction, new jobs. Minus the arrest, my resume is much stronger.

I just want to see if I could do a little better, and if my C&F stuff is going to handcuff me. Had I applied in the fall of 2012 I had a chance at schools I didn't last cycle given the drop in apps and the WE I gained.

I would like to explore transferring if I actually do well, and want to know how to talk about this to the bar or any prospective employer in regards to the arrest (it'll be expunged and arrest record will be erased in a couple of months, but I know I'll have to disclose it). I want to at least use this as an opportunity to learn how to best explain my situation and demonstrate I've matured.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:58 am

Redfactor wrote:
SoberHobo wrote:

Besides, a lot of people who say they don't have a problem with substance abuse / mental health are not accurately assessing their situation. (Not saying this is the case here.)

I never denied having a problem. I was very honest and open about that to every school. I'm basing my assessment of my current situation on what my "treatment team" thinks. They all think I'm doing well, and their only concern is that I'm doing too much right now, in terms of work, volunteering, etc;

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:07 am

Glad to hear you're on track!

I think the general rule of thumb is to use safe personal statements to schools where your numbers should get you in and if you are going to use one that is less safe, to use it on your reach schools.

I understand your hesitancy to write something so deeply personal. My PS was personal for me and that was something that I struggled with. It's been interesting as I have received several phone calls from faculty members of different schools and each has referenced my PS. Very weird that strangers know something about me when I've shared it with fewer people than I can count on one hand.

So, my advice is to brace yourself for that. A few of the faceless readers I envisioned for my audience have morphed into real people. It was / is weird and uncomfortable to me.

Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Redfactor wrote:Glad to hear you're on track!

I think the general rule of thumb is to use safe personal statements to schools where your numbers should get you in and if you are going to use one that is less safe, to use it on your reach schools.

I understand your hesitancy to write something so deeply personal. My PS was personal for me and that was something that I struggled with. It's been interesting as I have received several phone calls from faculty members of different schools and each has referenced my PS. Very weird that strangers know something about me when I've shared it with fewer people than I can count on one hand.

So, my advice is to brace yourself for that. A few of the faceless readers I envisioned for my audience have morphed into real people. It was / is weird and uncomfortable to me.

Best of luck!

Thanks.

Yeah I got calls from LS last cycle wanting explanations, so I figured I might as well just be 100% open about it this time and see what happens. I'm basically either applying to reaches or re applying to schools I was accepted to or waitlisted for FT and applying for their PT this time. Fingers crossed I guess.

I am going to apply to BYU, because I think it would be a great fit for me given it's values and policies, and I'm borderline in terms of #'s. I wrote a why BYU as an addendum, so maybe that'll help?

It was surprisingly therapuetic to write down my story and just kind of see how everything played out the past couple of years. I think someone will give me a chance, and I think that would mean a lot to me to see a good school accept me.

I emphasized how bad I feel about it, took responsibility for everything, so my essays/PS does not sound woe is me.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”