Effective Multiple LSAT Addendum??

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
XLogic

Effective Multiple LSAT Addendum??

Postby XLogic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:17 am

I took the LSAT multiple times. Therefore, I included an addendum.
Me = good softs, 3.7 GPA, less-than-160 LSAT

Multiple LSAT Addendum
I humbly request that my X LSAT score band be used (or given the highest priority) in evaluating my overall law school application. While I take full responsibility for my lower scores, I strongly believe that my improved quality of preparation translated into progressively better LSAT scores.

My preparation for the December 2011 LSAT was ill-conceived. I took an LSAT course and picked up methods that departed from what usually works well for me. I chose to use tools to boost my speed, especially in Reading comprehension and Analytical Reasoning. This was a mistake. I perform much better when I move at a steady pace, take good notes, and then slowly increase my pace.

The quality of my preparation for latter LSAT exams improved. This is in spite of the fact that I worked 40 hours a week, and had only 3 weeks of preparation time between my 2nd and 3rd exams. I focused on improving in the Logical reasoning and Reading comprehension sections, which increased my overall score (in those sections) by 16 percent. Based on this improvement, I believe that the X score band should be given the most weight in evaluating my overall application. If admitted, I will work very hard to outperform the LSAT-to-1L-Grade correlation by devoting my full attention to law school, and proactively learning new skills just as I have done for several years as a Technology professional.

CR2012

Re: Effective Multiple LSAT Addendum??

Postby CR2012 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:55 am

Honestly, I don't think it is necessary. I think you are drawing too much attention to the studying for the test. I took the test twice, having a huge improvement between the first and second time. I didn't want to include an addendum because I wanted schools to see the difference between the two and think to themselves, "that first time was a fluke." If they even care at all about the lower score.

Maybe others see it differently.

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:13 am

Wayyy too long I think. It also reads in the second paragraph like you are blaming the test prep company for your score. I quit reading there and I suspect adcoms will to. You have a good LSAT score- congrats! Let that speak for itself with no (or a very short) addendum. Best of luck!

Edit: rereading your OP do you have a good LSAT score? Was the less than 160 before or after the retakes?

XLogic

Postby XLogic » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:12 pm

@jetsfan1, interesting take.

My intent was to show that I improved steadily, and that I would do even better in law school. The reason for the LSAT prep stuff, was to show that I have diagnosed my issue (doesn't matter if my analysis is right/wrong). I also accepted full responsibility for the score(s) -- I figured that would be sufficient to let the adcomm know that I wasn't blaming anybody for my previous poor scores.

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:40 pm

Yeah I see where you are coming from, but the steady improvement is shown by your scores I think. If you want to put in an addendum (which I don't think is a bad idea) I would shorten it significantly and take out the detail about the prep. How you improved doesn't matter so much as the fact that you did.

Btw, it does sound like you have the work ethic to be successful, so I think you will do great wherever you go. Good luck!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:03 am

Do NOT include this addendum. It's ridiculous.

Unless your score jump was more than ten points, don't include any addendum.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”