Personal Statement vs. Diversity Statement Question

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Personal Statement vs. Diversity Statement Question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:13 am

I'm having a bit of a dilemma in choosing a PS topic and wondered if I should write a DS and a PS, or just focus on the PS. Not sure if it matters, but I have a T6 or bust mentality right now with a really strong desire to get into Harvard, so that may influence any advice I can get here. Also, I have taken the LSAT and I have a decent LSAT and a decent (although not superb) GPA, so it's quite likely this issue could make or break my application. I thank you all in advance for any and all advice I can get, I've been struggling for a while with no help and thought it was time to seek some outside advice.

I have 2 topics I want to write about. The first, which I'm leaning toward to write a PS about, focuses on my desire to do immigration work. I'm a white male, but I grew up pretty close to the Texas-Mexico border and thus, have many Mexican friends and have seen a lot of problems with the immigration system. Also, while trying not to get too personal to retain some anonymity but enough to show that I have some credibility, I've worked in various fields that were completely or near completely Spanish speaking, have a lot of Spanish language education, and have spent the last year and a half working and volunteering for this issue. I think I could relate one of my experiences with my home life and come up with a pretty decent PS that ties into my resume/life experiences to show what law school is right for my goals.

The second topic centers around a more personal experience concerning my families ongoing poverty and their frequent run-ins with the law. I've been told it'd make for a good PS but I don't know how to write it while tying it into my resume/reason for going to law school, what specific event I'd use, or without sounding like I'm whining. Even though I have had some fairly serious poverty and familial abuse related issues, I didn't exactly live in a war torn part of the world or a particularly dangerous area. I think it might fit well as a DS, but I'm not sure if this is the kind of issue that people tend to write about in a DS or if it's a played out topic.

Thanks again for any help I get.

EDIT: If it wasn't clear, the question is, should the second topic be used for a DS or not? Why did I even include the first topic, you may ask? That's a great question, I think I had a plan for that but quickly lost it because it led to a lot of brainstorming. I'll leave it for now in-case it somehow helps the discussion.

guano

Re: Personal Statement vs. Diversity Statement Question

Postby guano » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:35 am

Define decent LSAT/GPA. For a T6, decent doesn't cut it

Go for the first option, but feel free to tie your family's background in to how immigrants are often treated or where they are.

I wouldn't do a diversity statement, because its tough to pull off.

canarykb

Postby canarykb » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:20 am

I disagree.

I think the first option would make a great PS, and the second option could be a good DS or PS as well. I would write them both, and see how they go. I think they both can make great essays if they're really well written. I don't see how sending two strong essays could hurt you, it's when you send a great PS and a weak DS (or vice versa) that it can cause the Adcomm to doubt your file. Write and work hard on both (you have plenty of time) and choose based on quality, either sending both if they are both superb, or just the one that is the highest quality.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:26 am

Tie the two topics together and make them into your personal statement. It will make your personal statement richer and stronger.

CMHCLT

Postby CMHCLT » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:20 am

personal experience: strong ps, ds, significant and very strong/related resume, above 25% for gpa/lsat in T14, strong interviewer, etc.

Cycle was completely predictable based on numbers only.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:44 am

guano wrote:Define decent LSAT/GPA. For a T6, decent doesn't cut it

LSAT/GPA decent for T6 schools. I've seen multiple people get into HYS with my numbers, but seen multiple get dinged as well.

fallingup wrote:Tie the two topics together and make them into your personal statement. It will make your personal statement richer and stronger.

I'm considering that, but I'm not sure it can be done. Both topics are fairly large, but I might try it and just see how it goes.

canarykb wrote:

I disagree.

I think the first option would make a great PS, and the second option could be a good DS or PS as well. I would write them both, and see how they go. I think they both can make great essays if they're really well written. I don't see how sending two strong essays could hurt you, it's when you send a great PS and a weak DS (or vice versa) that it can cause the Adcomm to doubt your file. Write and work hard on both (you have plenty of time) and choose based on quality, either sending both if they are both superb, or just the one that is the highest quality.

I might also do this, might come out writing 2, 3, 4 Personal statements and just see how I feel about all of them. I've got the time.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”