Misdemeanor Addendum Help! Please Critque

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
santiago26

Misdemeanor Addendum Help! Please Critque

Postby santiago26 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:06 am

On Friday, April 4, 2008, I was on my way to pay my light bill with my roommate and her son. I circled around the parking lot and found no available spaces. I pulled into the handicap spot, never putting my car in park, and let my roommate out to pay the bill. As soon as my roommate got out of the car, I noticed a man banging on the hood of my car as I was reversing. I rolled down my window and he asked for my license and registration. A bit confused, because the cop was out of uniform, I asked him what the issue was? He showed me his badge and said I was parked in a handicap spot. I thoroughly explained to the officer I had no intentions of parking here, I just pulled in to get out of the flow of traffic and drop my roommate off, my car was never in park and I was just reversing. He still demanded I give him my license and registration. Once ran, to my surprise the office told me my License was suspended. I begun to tell the officer that I was unaware of the situation and that my License should be valid. Nevertheless, he wrote me a ticket for driving while license was suspended and informed me that I had to appear in court on May 22, 2008.

As soon as I got home I called the DMV to see what the issue was with my License. They informed me I had an unpaid ticket in palm beach county. I told them that Definitely could not be the case. I gave my mother money to specifically pay that speeding ticket I received while driving down to visit her in Miami. Unfortunately, they didn’t have any record of payment and sent all of the notices to an old address . I paid for the ticket and all other fines before the court date.

When I arrived in court on May 22, 2008 I informed the public defender I am a college student, this is my first time ever getting in trouble, and I have aspirations to go to law school in the future. He told me my best bet is to PLEA no contest. When It was my turn to speak to the judge I informed him that I am a college student, never been in trouble my whole life, have aspirations to go to law school, took care of all the fines, and my License is reinstated. I informed him that Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. Although I wasn’t aware that my license was suspended and had no intentions on deliberately breaking the law I still broke the law. I took full responsibility and informed him it will never happen again. He order me to pay a $214 fine and my adjudication was withheld.

Davidbentley

Re: Misdemeanor Addendum Help! Please Critque

Postby Davidbentley » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:47 pm

Beyond the grammar mistakes, this is far too long and fact intensive.

Something like.

On xxxx, In xxxx, I was cited for driving with a suspended license. The suspension was the result of an unpaid ticket (Don't tacitly blame your mom dude). When I became aware of the suspension, I immediately rectified the situation by paying all of the necessary tickets and reinstatement costs. I pleaded no contest, paid a fine, and my adjudication was withheld. Insert contrition.

santiago26

Postby santiago26 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks! :D

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Get to the damn point.

In ____ I received a ticket for _____. I thought this ticket was paid, however, it wasn't. I received another ticket and ______. The end.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”