Please Delete

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
kar09fsu

Please Delete

Postby kar09fsu » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Last edited by kar09fsu on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

canarykb

Re: Difficult time beginning my personal statement

Postby canarykb » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:48 pm

kar09fsu wrote: Main reasons I will do well in law school (I can bs more than this on PS but these are just my personal thoughts)- I am a hard worker and will put all the time and effort required to succeed (I have a whatever-it-takes mentality).

Think of an anecdote that shows what a hard worker you are and demonstrates your "whatever-it-takes" mentality. First piece of advice on these things is to show, don't tell. The Public Defender story could work well, but avoid disparaging your coworkers in order to make yourself look better. Also, yes, there's always bs-ing in these sort of essays, but I would cut the attitude about it. The personal statements that work best come across as genuine.

Redfactor

Re: Difficult time beginning my personal statement

Postby Redfactor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:42 pm

canarykb wrote:
kar09fsu wrote: Main reasons I will do well in law school (I can bs more than this on PS but these are just my personal thoughts)- I am a hard worker and will put all the time and effort required to succeed (I have a whatever-it-takes mentality).

Think of an anecdote that shows what a hard worker you are and demonstrates your "whatever-it-takes" mentality. First piece of advice on these things is to show, don't tell. The Public Defender story could work well, but avoid disparaging your coworkers in order to make yourself look better. Also, yes, there's always bs-ing in these sort of essays, but I would cut the attitude about it. The personal statements that work best come across as genuine.

+1

The reader will read so many personal statements each cycle. There will be countless "I knew I wanted to be a lawyer ever since my time with PD/Judge/Attorney" statements. I personally feel that being likable and genuine and connecting with the reader will help you out far more than the details of the story.

I also would suggest not using your personal statement (especially if you consider it BS) to explain your grades. A concise addendum along with obvious improvement on the transcript will be enough.

Write about something that fascinates you or that you feel passionate about. Personal statements don't have to be about the law / law school / trauma / overcoming hardship. Mine wasn't. If you write about something that you have genuine emotions towards, it will come out in the writing. Just make sure that the themes don't tell, but rather show characteristics they look for in students i.e. maturity, empathy, self reflection, work ethic.

I once read an interview with a dean of admissions for some T-6 school, and s/he said that the best personal statement s/he had read was about the applicant learning, through study and practice, the intricacies of sailing.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”