Custom-Tailoring Diversity Statements to Specific Prompts

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
born4law

Custom-Tailoring Diversity Statements to Specific Prompts

Postby born4law » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:58 am

Do people re-work their existing diversity statements to match DS prompts that are more specific, or they do they just submit them as-is? Penn, Irvine, and Georgetown all have very specific DS prompts. All three want to know how my diversity will specifically contribute to the law school or workplace thereafter. Do people here just submit whatever boiler-plate DS they've cooked up regardless of the prompt's specific "contribution" questions?
Last edited by born4law on Mon May 06, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eerie_erie

Re: Custom-Tailoring Diversity Statements to Specific Prompts

Postby eerie_erie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:28 pm

I would say to answer the question explicitly. Admissions officers are often overloaded, so making the connection is essential in these cases. However, this would take more time, obviously, so you would have to balance against that limitation as well.

cgw

Postby cgw » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:40 pm

It's hard to say without reading your DS, but it sounds like it fits within the framework of Penn and Georgetown's prompts. Do either of these schools have a program/group/club/etc. that relates to your experience? Maybe mentioning how you will contribute in that area, but I only think that requires a couple sentences at most. I think leaving it largely implicit would be fine.

UC Irvine is asking for a particular experience though, so I would recommend reworking what you have to focus mainly on that specific story "that really hammers it home."

Disclaimer: I did not write a diversity statement.

born4law

Postby born4law » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree: only Irvine's asks for something specific, and I'll tailor to that. Unfortunately Penn's limit is 1 page so I'll have to modify my original 2-page DS anyway but the content/theme will stay intact.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”