Academic Probation addendum, Submitting tonight, Advice?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Jack86

Academic Probation addendum, Submitting tonight, Advice?

Postby Jack86 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:01 am

Academic Probation Addendum, does this sound appropriate or should i just trim off the last couple sentences?

While transferring to College of Charleston was one of the best decisions I made, I regrettably became too caught up in my newly exciting surroundings during my first semester. Immersing myself in the school's social life, I overexerted myself in extracurricular activities and shortsightedly overlooked some of my academic duties. Consequently, I failed a statistics class, and my GPA fell below the “good standing” requirement, and I was placed on academic probation. Fortunately, I realized the consequences of my error and immediately retook the class, earning an A-. After that first semester, I remained in good standing for the rest of my college career, earning 11 A’s, 9 B’s, and 4 C’s. My last 3 semesters I earned GPAs of 3.34, 3.45, and 3.35 respectively. I wish I had avoided this slip, but am confident that I will not make this mistake again, and it has left me even more determined to prove myself as a student.

SouthernSoul

Re: Academic Probation addendum, Submitting tonight, Advice?

Postby SouthernSoul » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:00 pm

I've written a few of these myself... Based on the advice I received concerning writing a GPA/Academic Discipline addendum, yours seems to be sufficient. It's concise. It explains what happened and why. It shows that you overcame the situation by performing well academically after that semester.

I don't think you have to give details on the grades you received afterward. I would eliminate this sentence: "After that first semester, I remained in good standing for the rest of my college career, earning 11 A’s, 9 B’s, and 4 C’s." They can see that in your transcripts/academic summary anyway.

You might even want to sum up the next sentence as well, just reminding them that you ended on a high note and that in your last semesters you maintained over a 3.3 GPA. You don't necessarily have to include the last sentence, as it's kind of implied that you wish you hadn't had that bad semester and that you intend not to be in the same situation again, but it's not like it hurts you. Best of luck!

Jack86

Postby Jack86 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:05 pm

Thank you! I was going to include the grades because I took 4 classes at a community college as a non degree student, before i went to college, for fun, like a senior level figure drawing class, didnt have any prerequisites, and stopped going to the classes, receiving F's, which LSAC then incorporates into my culmulative GPA, and needless to say, it skewed it.

jmsae

Postby jmsae » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:07 pm

Can you appropriately paraphrase what you just said and then use that? Seems like it made a lot more sense the second time around when you explained it.

Jack86

Postby Jack86 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:04 pm

haha, thats a great idea, don't know why i didnt think of that! thank you

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”