Am I headed in the right direction? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Csom

New

Am I headed in the right direction?

Post by Csom » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:23 am

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Last edited by Csom on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

vman21

Bronze

Re: Am I headed in the right direction?

Post by vman21 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:00 am

(o '.')-o
Last edited by vman21 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cgw

Bronze

Post by cgw » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:04 pm

I can kind of understand where you're coming from with the first paragraph. But I have no idea what your reasoning could be for the second. I find it downright bizarre. What does your father's "pick your battles" advice have to do with your sister's marital troubles? Why are you even telling people about your sister's marital troubles? When contemplating your life thus far, that is the experience you think offers the most insight into your character and abilities? I was actually uncomfortable reading about your foray into marriage counseling and your flippant digs at your sister.
That is what I value most, to gain wisdom through real world experience and pass it on to others.
This sentence directly after your example with your sister sounds kind of condescending. Do you have any real world experiences to show in this essay?

I don't think a PS has to be either an overcoming adversity tale OR a why law school, it can be both. Overcoming an adversity can, after all, lead to a desire to go to law school and/or the drive to pursue it.

Csom

New

Post by Csom » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:41 pm

cgw wrote:I can kind of understand where you're coming from with the first paragraph. But I have no idea what your reasoning could be for the second. I find it downright bizarre. What does your father's "pick your battles" advice have to do with your sister's marital troubles? Why are you even telling people about your sister's marital troubles? When contemplating your life thus far, that is the experience you think offers the most insight into your character and abilities? I was actually uncomfortable reading about your foray into marriage counseling and your flippant digs at your sister.
I suppose without any context it does sound pretty bizarre, and now that I read it again it is not a very good example. The purpose of the second paragraph was to convey an example of how useful the knowledge you gain in the legal profession is when applying it to your personal life. Basically what I was trying to say was what my dad has learned through his experiences as a lawyer and subsequently taught me has helped shape me as a person. The example is as you both said is not very fitting in a PS, especially without context and is hard to relate to what I was trying to say. My sister is EXTREMELY sensitive and as explosive as dynamite, so most of my life I avoided getting involved in her problems so as to not set her off on a tantrum if I said the wrong thing. Hence the "pick your battles" part, but as I matured and realized I could handle the situation. So yeah, I suppose it's not a very good thing to include.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”