Talk about diversity in PS AND Diversity Statement?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lmsf

Talk about diversity in PS AND Diversity Statement?

Postby lmsf » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:47 am

I address my background information related to diversity in my personal statement (living in 2 countries, living through war and discrimination). Should I also write a diversity statement? I could make the focus different and discuss my global perspective and exposure to other cultures or talk more in depth about my experiences (the PS diversity-related info is only 2 paragraphs and is presented as an intro to why I want to pursue a public interest law career, which is the focus of the PS). Or do law schools think that doing both is overkill? I guess I'm worried that if you don't submit a diversity statement some schools might not even look at your file if you don't meet some of their criteria (I'm a splitter, 3.2 GPA, 174 LSAT).

Thanks for your advice!

John_rizzy_rawls

Re: Talk about diversity in PS AND Diversity Statement?

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:56 am

Are you a URM (African/African American, Puerto Rican, Mexican/Mexican American, or Native American)?

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:07 am

You can do both as long as they don't substantially overlap. I did both. I wrote my PS about why I decided to become a lawyer. My diversity statement was more about my personal background and worldview and how both of these would enhance the law school classroom. You don't need to be a URM to write a diversity statement. Diversity literally refers to what makes you unique and will enhance the law school environment, so you should probably write one if you have a lot of interesting experiences that don't fit into your PS.

lmsf

Postby lmsf » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:22 pm

No, I'm not a URM.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”