Anime - DS?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Anime - DS?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:18 pm

Please give me your critique on my DS

Being raised by a single mother automatically prepositioned me to fulfill the typical stereotypes as a black male. On top of that, I was born into a family that migrated from Jamaica, bringing a different take on customs in an American society.
To say the least, choosing between saltfish with dumplings and a cheeseburger from McDonalds was not the easiest decision. I had to learn how to blend the two cultures. Most of my life I lived in a black neighborhood, and went to predominately black public schools. However, as a child growing up, I loved the opposite of what others around me would enjoy.
Anime and music of all types were my first love. I sat for hours at home watching/drawing anime and listening to alternative rock, such as Linkin Park. On the other hand, those my age went outside to play basketball and listen to rap music. I stepped out of the boundaries of what I was expected to like and other kids made fun of me and called me names such as nerd or “being an Oreo” because of it. I would simply use my humor to shrug it off, but in reality I always felt a distance between me and my peers.
I had a hard time relating to my parent and lacked the father figure role as a form of advice. Not knowing how to go to my mother for help on the situation of blending in with other children. I grew to use my love of anime as a form of guidance. Lessons taught through characters became what I looked up to. One of my favorite characters, Rock Lee (modeled after Bruce Lee) has a theme of hard work. His character has no special talent but he uses his determination and hard work as his driving force, making him an equal to his peers. I have always used his character as motivation.
As I got older, I have grown to appreciate the way I grew up. I do not regret any of it. I am glad that I did not allow myself to follow those around me just to fit in. It gave me a sense of originality that I value greatly.

Anonymous User

Re: Anime - DS?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:09 pm

Anyone have an opinion on this please?

bluepenguin

Re: Anime - DS?

Postby bluepenguin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:50 pm

The content has a ton of potential. The writing is a long way from submission-worthy, much less that potential.

Anonymous User wrote:To say the least, choosing between saltfish with dumplings and a cheeseburger from McDonalds was not the easiest decision.

I stepped out of the boundaries of what I was expected to like and other kids made fun of me and called me names such as nerd or “being an Oreo” because of it.

-Not to say the least. Say more. I have no idea what you mean by that.
-They called you "being an Oreo?" I think you mean, "such as 'nerd' or 'Oreo.'"

The whole thing doesn't tie together very well. How does the anime tie together with your first section. The whole Rock Lee thing doesn't address the issue you presented of needing advice to blend in. You left that unresolved.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”