Character & fitness addendum! CRITIQUE pleaseee Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Character & fitness addendum! CRITIQUE pleaseee

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:22 am

Thank you guys for your help... I won't cheat again, I promise. :oops:

On May 18, 2010, I violated ________ University's Code of Academic Integrity by cheating on the final exam for ____________ (ABC 2000) class. My professor took notice, and I pleaded guilty.

During that semester, I was attending counseling sessions because I had anxiety issues and was struggling with academic pressure. However, I still experienced extremely severe anxiety and a panic attack a few hours before the exam, and I made a wrong decision later on. Thankfully, my professor was understanding of my circumstances, and as a result, I was only given a grade punishment for the exam.

On December 10, 2010, I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I received treatment from the university health services, and have been able to control my anxiety under academic and non-academic pressure alike. The incident mentioned above was my first and only violation of the Code, and I remained in good standing until graduation.

Gradvocates Editing

New

Re: Character & fitness addendum! CRITIQUE pleaseee

Post by Gradvocates Editing » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:54 pm

We recommend changing the first sentence to:
On _______, I pleaded guilty to violating ________ University's Code of Academic Integrity by cheating on the final exam for ____________ (ABC 2000) class.
The rest of your addendum does not show that you understand the seriousness of your offense. It states that you cheated because you had anxiety and suffered one minor repercussion.

We would like to see your second paragraph begin with something similar to: "Although I understand that there is no excuse for cheating or academic dishonesty, I suffered from Generalized Anxiety Disorder at the time."

The rest of this addendum is good because it mentions that you were able to control your anxiety. As you know, law school will be much more stressful than college, so it is important to emphasize this. It is also good that you mentioned that this was your first and last violation of the code.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:43 pm

Thank you!!!
Does this sound better?

On May 18, 2010, I pleaded guilty to violating ______ University's Code of Academic Integrity by cheating on the final exam for _________________ (ABC 2000) class.

Although I understand that there is no excuse for cheating or academic dishonesty, I suffered from Generalized Anxiety Disorder at the time. I had not received any treatment at this point because even though I was attending counseling sessions, I was not diagnosed with the disorder yet. Regardless, the decision I made on the exam was wrong. My professor was understanding of my circumstances, however, and I was only given a grade punishment for the exam.

On December 10, 2010, I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I received treatment from the university health services, and have been able to control my anxiety under academic and non-academic pressure alike. The incident mentioned above was my first and only violation of the Code, and I remained in good standing until graduation.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:14 pm

Looks good. Did you get any LORs that specifically refer to your academic honesty? Maybe getting an LOR from a professor whose class you took after the violation that specifically vouches for your honesty would also help.

Gradvocates Editing

New

Post by Gradvocates Editing » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you!!!
Does this sound better?

On May 18, 2010, I pleaded guilty to violating ______ University's Code of Academic Integrity by cheating on the final exam for _________________ (ABC 2000) class.

Although I understand that there is no excuse for cheating or academic dishonesty, I suffered from Generalized Anxiety Disorder at the time. I had not received any treatment at this point because even though I was attending counseling sessions, I was not diagnosed with the disorder yet. Regardless, the decision I made on the exam was wrong. My professor was understanding of my circumstances, however, and I was only given a grade punishment for the exam.

It looks much better. Here are a few suggested changes, feel free to implement them at your discretion.

Although I understand that there is no excuse for cheating or academic dishonesty, I suffered from Generalized Anxiety Disorder at the time. I had not received any treatment at this point because even though I was attending counseling sessions, I was not yet diagnosed with the disorder yet. Regardless, the decision I made on the exam was wrong. My professor was understanding of my circumstances, however, and I was only given a grade punishment for the exam.

On December 10, 2010, I was After being diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder., I received treatment from the university health services, and have since been able to control my anxiety under academic and non-academic pressure alike. The incident mentioned above was my first and only violation of the Code, and I remained in good standing until graduation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”