(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
imcool19

Postby imcool19 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Last edited by imcool19 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

suralin
better than you

Re: Addendum if I got C+ for being late to class?? (Frshmn year)

Postby suralin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:49 pm

imcool19 wrote:I do not really remember what grades I got for my papers, but it was my very first 8:40AM class and I had difficulty waking up on my own and coming to class on time. My instructor, who was a graduate student, lowered my grade every time I was late to class, and I ended up with C+.

This is really not indicative of my writing ability, and I think the grading system was really unfair.
Can I attach an addendum for this, or does that sound like whining?

lol

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:56 pm

It sounds like whining because it is whining.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:05 pm

My instructor...lowered my grade every time I was late to class....and I think the grading system was really unfair.

Did the instructor make it clear in the syllabus, or verbally? Did you notice your grad dropping every week (that you slept in)? If class participation was a requirement, and you were told early-on that you would have to attend to participate (facebook and twitter didn't garner many participation points, I'm assuming), then feel free to whine about it, but don't expect anyone to care.

But make sure you serve some cheese. :mrgreen:

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:06 pm

imcool19 wrote:I do not really remember what grades I got for my papers, but it was my very first 8:40AM class and I had difficulty waking up on my own and coming to class on time. My instructor, who was a graduate student, lowered my grade every time I was late to class, and I ended up with C+.

This is really not indicative of my writing ability, and I think the grading system was really unfair.
Can I attach an addendum for this, or does that sound like whining?

To explain my comment earlier, this is one of those relatively rare cases where an addendum not only fails to make your application, but actually stands a chance of breaking it.

Several things: 8:40 is not that early. What do you mean by having trouble waking up "on [your] own"? That grade policy is fair and not uncommon at many schools. If you don't remember your ***ing grades, you can't say that your tardiness was what got you a C+.

Just nope, nope, and nope.

imcool19

Postby imcool19 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:08 pm

Okies... thanks for your advice!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”