Drug Policy PS

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Drug Policy PS

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:27 pm

So I've been very involved in the drug policy reform movement for a while now. Includes, but definitely not limited to, marijuana legalization and decrim. Doing it entirely for the social justice reasons (not a drug user myself), have a very good GPA and solid LSAT. Thinking of applying next cycle and blanketing the T14.

Would writing a PS about my experiences in drug policy reform be too much, since an LOR is from my employer at an organization related, and much of my resume and experience is related too? My PS would talk about frustrations from people not seeing this legitimately as a social justice issue, and probably mention how many people tried persuading me against getting involved because it would supposedly "hurt my chances at employment and law school."

Re: Drug Policy PS

Postby GoingForGold » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Anyone that believes in the "merits" of the drug war or in the imprisonment of non-violent drug users has little understanding of economics or for that matter human nature.

That said, you never know who your reader is going to be so I say why take a topic that could potentially shoot you in the foot from the get go?

Postby thomasyin2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:41 pm

I'd say research respective adcomms political leanings. You get a feel of it by taking a look at their essays and works. For T-14 adcomms, shouldn't be too hard to locate. Could that work?

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:49 pm

This sounds like a bad idea. You should avoid controversial topics. A good PS is unlikely to help you outperform your numbers. Meanwhile a bad PS or a controversial one could hurt you. The choice seems pretty clear. If anything, just talk about how much you've enjoyed working in public policy generally and how a law degree will help you or whatever.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”