JAG PS Question Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

JAG PS Question

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Long time lurker here. First of all I would like to thank the TLS community as a whole for being such a tremendous resource throughout my application process.

For my personal statement I want to write about my aspirations of becoming a JAG officer after completing law school. At the time of my enrollment (assuming admission this cycle) I will have worked for the Department of Veterans affairs for a little over two years and I believe that I could craft a fairly strong narrative describing the reasoning behind my desire to purse a career in the military. However, I am well aware that as a 0L with little to no first hand experience with the actual practice of law my interests may change dramatically and that this type of PS may come off as naïve or insincere.

That said, I do believe that writing something along these lines would be the most genuine response I could give to “why do you want to be a lawyer” while highlighting one of the stronger points of my application in the process. So, does this seem like a decent idea for a PS or should I just skip this entirely and go back to the drawing board?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

bluepenguin

Bronze

Re: JAG PS Question

Post by bluepenguin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:15 pm

JAG is *really* tough to get. If it's your sole (or even main) reason for going to law school idk that that'll play well. Maybe you should talk about a commitment to service and use JAG as a possible/ideal career aim in that vein.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”