Please critique my PS

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ALgooner

Please critique my PS

Postby ALgooner » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:02 am

Last edited by ALgooner on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluepenguin

Re: Please critique my PS

Postby bluepenguin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:34 am

Not a bad bit of stuff, my North London frenemy. Draft isn't that rough. Well written until the last two paragraphs. They're a disaster. Second to last paragraph is just overwritten. Last one is a whole lot of telling instead of showing.

You could probably reduce NAME's role without taking too much of a hit, although I appreciate what you're doing with the character.

Most of P5 can go.

B90

Postby B90 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 am

Are you about to submit this today? I like it. I only had the chance to skim it so far. I will do an edit this evening. Excellent draft, though.

ALgooner

Postby ALgooner » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Uh oh, penguin. Spurs fan? Reading over the next to last paragraph again, I agree it is overwritten. The later into the night I wrote, the cheesier my metaphors became.

B90, I am not planning on submitting today. Hopefully this weekend. I would really appreciate any editing you could do!

ALgooner

Postby ALgooner » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:12 pm

Last edited by ALgooner on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:27 am

Sort of a resume rehash. The writing is fairly weak as well. I would start over with a theme that you can build on. And grab the readers attention more powerfully but less dramatically. Something like, "It was the aftermath of a large tornado that actually lifted me up and spun me in a new direction."

Try to avoid assuming the reader knows what you are thinking. For example you write, "I immersed myself in the position." What does that mean? Or "When I started at ORGANIZATION, I saw my position as a means to an end." This is vague and nondescriptive." Tell the reader more effectively what you are thinking. For example, "I volunteered as a means of supporting others aspirations, but found it was my own that grew larger." The reader does not know what means and what ends to which you refer.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”