Diversity Statement- not enough struggle?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
BerksGirl

Diversity Statement- not enough struggle?

Postby BerksGirl » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Hello!

So I feel like I'm late in the game compared to most that post on here but I waited to finalize my schools after getting a bunch of fee waivers last week (I have some great Top 10 schools on there).

Anyways I wrote what I think is a pretty good diversity statement, but my boss (a prof at a top 6 school) thinks it makes me sound like I had a pretty easy life. I know I'm very diverse and feel like just because I didn't struggle or face discrimination that I can still turn in something good.

This is what I'm writing on:

I'm a Puerto Rican female that was in a professional salsa group in order to experience my culture in more depth.

My dad passed away when I was almost 4 and now I have a great step dad.

My parents both have jobs in law enforcement and I think this gives me a really unique perspective when it comes to law.

I know these seem like 3 really distinct topics but I made sure they tie together well in the essay. My boss specifically points to the third topic and says it automatically shows that I am well off (which I guess I'm doing ok).

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!!!!

Anonimo

Re: Diversity Statement- not enough struggle?

Postby Anonimo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:23 pm

Do you want to write an adversity statement or a diversity statement? Diversity doesn't have to necessarily show huge amounts of struggle. Be honest and share your experiences and what you have learned from them.

Also, If I were you I would try to concentrate on one thesis. Make sure you include your puertorriqueñidad on the essay.

BerksGirl

Postby BerksGirl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:19 am

Definitely diversity. I know there are some schools like ucla that ask to explain an obstacle but I kinda addressed one in my personal statement. I'm having difficulty just doing one topic since I think all 3 really do contribute to my uniqueness as a candidate.

And the way I tied them together is by talking about each person in my life that represents that aspect of diversity.

I think this may be more stressful than my ps was :?

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:26 am

Without seeing it it's hard to say. I don't see anything inherently undoable about what you're trying to do (in the hands of a decent writer).

There is no reason whatsoever why a difficult life should be a prerequisite for law school admission. Unless you're being asked specifically about your troubles, I don't see the problem.

PickMe!

Postby PickMe! » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:32 am

Anonimo wrote:Do you want to write an adversity statement or a diversity statement?

My thoughts exactly!

BerksGirl

Postby BerksGirl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:36 am

Ok so this is exactly what I was thinking! My boss got me doubting it. Well if anyone cares to see it I can share and would be willing to edit one in return.

Anonimo

Postby Anonimo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:33 pm

I would be very happy to help you out. Send it to me.

BerksGirl

Postby BerksGirl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Anyone care to swap personal statements as well? I actually enjoy reading through them and making edits!

B90

Postby B90 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:17 pm

You can post anonymously. If you do, others will be able to see all of your edits and feedback, and benefit from it as well.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”